Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dumb question -- any ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dumb-question-any-ideas-t202164.html)

justflyingin 02-10-2014 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 5558496)
I think in quilting there's something for everyone, and I just don't think mystery quilts are your "thing". No big deal. Just accept that it's not what you prefer to do, and don't participate. Life is short. Spend it doing what you enjoy, and don't beat yourself up over the fact that you don't enjoy it. No matter what you're considering, there's always someone who doesn't like to do that particular thing.
On the other hand, it is true that sometimes we just have to try something we don't want to do, because that's how we learn and grow. You may be pleasantly surprised if you can let go and try it. But if you've already tried mystery quilts and already know it's just not for you, let it go, don't participate, and move on to what you do enjoy, guilt free.

My thoughts exactly. Life is too short...so don't do it--guilt free.

Anne P 02-10-2014 01:10 PM

Sounds like there are a lot of people in this boat with you! I, too, want to know what the finished design will be. I love Bonnie Hunter's quilts, but can't just follow a mystery when she does them because I don't have a clue about the end. As for scrappy, I love them, too. But again, I often control it by using specific colors and values. For instance I am in the process of making a Valentine's Day wall hanging with a variety of reds, but am keeping the background squares all the same.

That being said, I did a small charm quilt with 1.5" squares. I had joined a Keepsake Quilts club and received a couple of boxes of squares that were meant as samples of their fabrics. There were over 400 squares and no two were alike. I made a charm panel that ended up being 15 X 25 squares and put a border around it. I will applique some flowers in two of the corners and have a really scrappy wall hanging! That, so far, is the extent of my "out of the bag" scrappy. Maybe someday I'll do something bigger.

As for being "kicked out" of the group, I'm thinking that's God's way of saying He wants you to use your time in ways that are happier for YOU. There are so very, very many block patterns out there from which you can choose to make quilts with fabrics over which you have control. I say go for it and enjoy every moment.

Hope you feel better very soon. I'll keep you in my prayers!

LynnVT 02-10-2014 01:34 PM

I think life is too short to do something you don't enjoy unless it's necessary. Yes, you might learn something new if you soldier on and do it, but you also could be using that time and all that fabric to make something you really want to do. I went to a mystery quilt weekend with my sister once and we had a lovely time. It was a Jewel Box pattern and came out nicely. But it was pretty standard process, strips and squares and half-square triangles. I don't think I'd follow through on what you've been set out to do. Make your decision, and don't second guess yourself, whatever it is.
Enjoy every day!