Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dylon SOS Color Run (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dylon-sos-color-run-t232818.html)

stillclock 10-19-2013 07:59 PM

Dylon SOS Color Run

2 Attachment(s)
i put the red, white and blue quilt on the line to snap a few pictures, and promptly forgot about it.

it rained.

i came home to discover the whites shot through on the quilting lines with vibrant orange.

the whole quilt was bleeding as if murdered.

i looked on line and read about color catchers and synthrapol, knowing i could get both at the coolest little quilt shop out in the country.

i snuck in a trip there on a too busy day, and the owner told me to put that stuff back and buy this dylon sos color run product.

i bought two boxes and came home to soak the disaster in the bath tub. this is what happened when the quilt hit the hot water:

this is what it looks like now, after three rounds in the hot water, including an overnight soak.:

there are some minor bleeding marks, but no one is ever going to notice them and i wonder if they'll wash out in the next go around with colour catchers.

so if you ever have a serious bleeding disaster, i have to recommend this product. truly magical!

i am so thankful today for chemistry!

aileen

stillclock 10-19-2013 08:00 PM

the red flannel backing was from the bins. i always wash my fabric before i put it away, so i didn't think to wash this prior to using it.

there's no way it was ever washed. several lessons learned here :)

aileen

Jeanette Frantz 10-19-2013 08:15 PM

Aileen,

I am a really a "rank amateur", but I have decided that I will always wash and treat my fabrics before I begin working on any quilt! The first bed-size quilt I made was a white with red embroidery and red borders. My cousin in Oklahoma has her own quilt shop, so she had cautioned me about color bleeding! I cut a scrap of the red and put it in a glass of hot tap water. The water almost instantly was bright pink! I knew then I had a problem. I went looking for a dye-setting product locally -- I sent to almost every store in town, including Joann's, Hobby Lobby, you name it I went there. After all that exhaustive activity netted me nothing, I got on the computer and went on the Rit Dye website. Rit has a dye-setting product designed primarily for hand-painted fabrics. However, it works for commercially dyed fabric. It cost more to have it shipped than the product itself cost. But, I'm a believer! I tested the fabric, both before and after processing it with the product. Afterward, it didn't fade/bleed! I'm sold. I think I would still use color catchers when I washed it, but that's just a very cautious position! I'm glad the product you got worked for you!

Jeanette Frantz

BellaBoo 10-19-2013 08:49 PM

Thanks for posting this. I haven't heard of this product but just ordered it from Amazon. You never know when you might have an OH NO with fabric. I'm ready for it now! LOL

Tartan 10-19-2013 09:03 PM

Thank goodness you were able to save it!

bearisgray 10-19-2013 09:28 PM

That sure is some red water in that tub!

Glad that pruduct saved the day.

Nice quilt -if there is any staining, it is not conspicuois!

hopetoquilt 10-20-2013 03:17 AM

That is seriously a lot of bleeding. I have never seen a fabric bleed that much

QuiltnNan 10-20-2013 03:37 AM

wow, terrific save. thanks for the info on the product

yngldy 10-20-2013 11:47 AM

That is some serious color in that water! What did your bathtub look like after that?!

1000projects 10-20-2013 12:34 PM

terrific save. whew!