Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Easy Cone Thread Holder (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/easy-cone-thread-holder-t201611.html)

Shana 09-28-2012 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If it does start to give you problems there is an easy fix too :) Use a wire coat hanger, cut the bottom section of wire out about 10-12 inches bend it into a "L" shape and put loops at both ends, the leg of the L loop will fit over your vertical spindle and your cone will sit down on time of it, and your thread can run up and through the loop at the top and then down to your sewing machine letting pull from the 'top' :) [ATTACH=CONFIG]366053[/ATTACH]

Neesie 09-28-2012 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Shana (Post 5546922)
If it does start to give you problems there is an easy fix too :) Use a wire coat hanger, cut the bottom section of wire out about 10-12 inches bend it into a "L" shape and put loops at both ends, the leg of the L loop will fit over your vertical spindle and your cone will sit down on time of it, and your thread can run up and through the loop at the top and then down to your sewing machine letting pull from the 'top' :) [ATTACH=CONFIG]366053[/ATTACH]

What a cool invention! That looks like exactly what I'd need, for my Kenmore (when I get it back up and running)! Thanks! :thumbup:

Grace MooreLinker 09-28-2012 07:16 AM

thanks for the idea, I fight my cone holder it turns over have to go chase it , I can do this one.

quiltmom04 09-28-2012 08:02 AM

I use " So Fine" on the large cones all the time too. I only every emptied 2 of them! I get it from Superior Threads - usually stock up at the quilt show in Hershey. The spool holder I have was only $7, and it sits next to the machine. If your method starts to give you a problem, the holders are not hard to find.

Shana 09-28-2012 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5546950)
What a cool invention! That looks like exactly what I'd need, for my Kenmore (when I get it back up and running)! Thanks! :thumbup:

lol I am cheap...er "frugal" thus resourceful lol why spend $7-$10 on a holder when you can use something 'free' and make it yourself :D Happy to share lol when my sewing table is put back together and I'm not ashamed to take pictures again I'll post a picture of mine lol

Neesie 09-28-2012 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shana (Post 5547121)
lol I am cheap...er "frugal" thus resourceful lol why spend $7-$10 on a holder when you can use something 'free' and make it yourself :D Happy to share lol when my sewing table is put back together and I'm not ashamed to take pictures again I'll post a picture of mine lol

Cheap . . . I mean "frugal" is GOOD! :thumbup: I've seen the cone holders and read about the cups, etc. but aside from being ch . . . frugal, I really don't want anything extra on my table; I have enough to knock over/off, already. :p

NewbieToQuilting 09-28-2012 10:49 AM

LQS told me a mason jar works too!

Shana 09-28-2012 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by NewbieToQuilting (Post 5547437)
LQS told me a mason jar works too!

That does work! if you aren't clumsy...I spent 90 minutes cleaning up the glass and stopping the bleeding lol that's when I came up with the coat hanger trick lol if you do use one I would suggest sitting on a piece of the rubberized shelf liner so it doesn't slide easily.

maxnme01 09-28-2012 03:04 PM

Here's another idea if your machine isn't picky!

Save the empty container when you finish using up a larger purchase of C/DVD's. The spindle holds a large cone and the top becomes a trash bin.

RECYCLE is the name of the game.

collady 09-28-2012 03:17 PM

Thanks for sharing your great idea!