Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   eBay quilt - Just shaking my head (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ebay-quilt-just-shaking-my-head-t255517.html)

babsmason 10-21-2014 11:18 AM

I would just finish it as best you can without stressing yourself and then donate it for someone who is homeless. Even though we all see the errors, a person who doesn't quilt doesn't notice them. They don't know the difference. I can't believe that someone sold this without at least mentioning that it is far from perfect. Good luck.

tlpa 10-21-2014 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6935008)
Yikes! There's no way I'd spend the time to take it all apart and redo it. I'd call it an eBay lesson and do as Tartan suggested. :shock:

Ditto here!

joyce888 10-21-2014 01:56 PM

I used to sew clothing and there was one thing I would never do for anyone and many times not even for myself - alterations. This quilt would be the worst kind of alteration. By the time you fix all the mistakes you could make an entire quilt! That is one that I would have left it as it was and used it to practice quilting methods then donate to a shelter.

maviskw 10-21-2014 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 6937607)
I have decided to put the rows back together, minus one row. I took the block apart, oh dear, tried to square it up. It came out way smaller. I just could not figure out how the red was cut??? They picture is blurry because I was too close but the center was attached to the "bear claws", not sure if I could even duplicate the cutting. I was thinking, maybe this is a technique I had never seen before possibly ??? I did a quick search on eBay to see if I could figure out who I had purchased it from, no look, too long ago. So at this pint, I will just put back together and finish it. I really do like the quilt but was complete thrown off by the cutting of the red fabric. Sooooo I will move on, learned to valuable lessons, pay more attention on eBay and NEVER take apart someone else's work LOL> Thanks Ladies!!

Glad to hear you found YOUR solution. I think the quilt is very pretty.

canuckninepatch 10-21-2014 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 6935021)
I'd just quilt it as is, after making sure that red doesn't fade. Too much trouble to do anything elsafraide...and it is a pretty pattern.

Dina

I'm afraid i would end up just pitching it.

My time 10-21-2014 08:25 PM

I wouldn't take it apart either. Once it's quilted it will be fine. Most quilters won't even notice.

oldtisme 10-27-2014 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6934970)
I would say to the question (who would do this?) .... Someone who is new to quilting, is trying to learn on her own, figuring it out as she went along, doing the best she could to figure it out.... Kudos to her for trying so hard to figure out how to do something on her own! I would not have started taking it apart, I would quilt it as is, perhaps using it as a quilting practice piece and keep it as a utility quilt, maybe as my next * picnic quilt*

I agree, I can relate to the beginning to learn & doing the best I can.

justflyingin 10-27-2014 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 6937607)
I have decided to put the rows back together, minus one row. I took the block apart, oh dear, tried to square it up. It came out way smaller. I just could not figure out how the red was cut??? They picture is blurry because I was too close but the center was attached to the "bear claws", not sure if I could even duplicate the cutting. I was thinking, maybe this is a technique I had never seen before possibly ??? I did a quick search on eBay to see if I could figure out who I had purchased it from, no look, too long ago. So at this pint, I will just put back together and finish it. I really do like the quilt but was complete thrown off by the cutting of the red fabric. Sooooo I will move on, learned to valuable lessons, pay more attention on eBay and NEVER take apart someone else's work LOL> Thanks Ladies!!

My husband, who is a mechanic at heart (not his current vocation), HATES taking someone else's work and fixing it. He much prefers to start with his own mistakes. :)

Anyway, good lesson.

gale 10-27-2014 12:34 PM

There sure is a lot of judgment on this thread. tsk tsk.

how is this taking advantage when a picture was included?

LavenderBlue 10-27-2014 12:47 PM

I agree with Neesie. Recently, my husband's cousin's wife was very thoughtful to think of me (220 mi. from us) and purchased an old quilt top for me, unbeknownst to me. She was at a sew/vac place to buy a vacuum and a lady had some old tops for sale. It was SO ugly, terrible sewing like yours, awful colors. I expressed appreciation, took it home, but could not bring myself to offer to pay her. When we left that weekend, she asked if I'd like her to purchase any more if she finds them there in the future. I politely declined, stating that I already have several of my own to finish (not true).....just needed to be gracious, but sure didn't want to feel obligated to take them! I kept it for several weeks and debated about replacing some of the most garish blocks with better colors and finally decided to donate to Goodwill. By the way, I offered to sandwich and finish the quilt for HER home, but she declined so maybe she didn't find it attractive either. LOL