Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Edge joining foot and Stitch in the Ditch foot are the same? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/edge-joining-foot-stitch-ditch-foot-same-t175531.html)

hutch farm 01-13-2012 05:27 PM

Edge joining foot and Stitch in the Ditch foot are the same?

When doing SID, should I use my walking foot or my Edge joining foot? Do you necessarily have to use the walking foot? Advantages and disadvantages, please :)

hutch farm 01-13-2012 05:28 PM

One more question - invisible thread or no?

janetter 01-13-2012 05:32 PM

I also wondered if they were the same??? interested in the answer!!!! I already have a walking foot but...

deemail 01-13-2012 05:38 PM

basically, yes... my hemming foot can be used as a joining foot also... look thru your feet and see what might be able to be used for this before purchasing an extra foot... and invisible thread...you're gonna have to choose for yourself... i stopped using it the day my repairman showed me the grooves inside the machine it was creating... it's basically real tiny fishing line... listen to others and then use a bit and choose for yourself...

katier825 01-14-2012 04:48 AM

I've never used an edge joining foot, but the benefit of using the walking foot is so that it will feed the fabric better and you will have less puckers on the back side. I'm not a big fan of the invisible thread, but the poly is much nicer than the nylon. It is softer and doesn't poke you like the nylon does.

Dkm 01-14-2012 07:31 AM

I live by my walking foot. It will feed the fabric evenly. If you run into a bulky seem the walking will move over it nicely. I'm not a fan of invisible thread. It feels like what I think it is...fishing wire. I do use Superior poly nylon and like it. That being said, when I have the option I never use invisible. In SID you can match the thread pretty close and it won't show. Good luck. I would give both a try on a scrap piece and judge the difference.

JudyTheSewer 01-14-2012 08:05 AM

Bernina has come out with a SID foot for their walking foot. I bought it six months or so ago and I LOVE it!!!! You buy just the metal foot and use it on your existing walking foot. The best of both worlds.

HollyDav 01-15-2012 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 4873547)
Bernina has come out with a SID foot for their walking foot. I bought it six months or so ago and I LOVE it!!!! You buy just the metal foot and use it on your existing walking foot. The best of both worlds.

Viking came out with one of those also. You can change the feet on the walking foot. Loving it.

I don't care for invisible thread either.

Cheers!

jitkaau 01-15-2012 05:15 AM

Depends on the machine system. On a Pfaff, which has built in IDT and therefore no need for a walking foot, the SID foot has a non-cutting blade in the middle of the foot. You guide this foot along the seam and the stitch goes into the ditch.