Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Edge-stitch flannel blocks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/edge-stitch-flannel-blocks-t222340.html)

running1 05-27-2013 07:28 AM

Edge-stitch flannel blocks?

Hello all... and Happy Memorial Day! I'm working on a quilt that was featured in the McCall's Quilting, Dec. 2006 called Snowfall. The designer made hers using wool blocks. It is large snowflakes blanket stitched onto 8" blocks... The original pattern is 8 X 8 blocks with the inner 6 x 6 blocks appliqued, leaving the outer perimeter blank. I had enough fabric collected to make it 9 x 9, with 49 snowflake blocks.

OK... I'm not using wool; my DIL wanted to use flannel. After (finally) finding enough flannel in her color choices, I've cut all the blocks and all the snowflakes and have fused the flakes to the blocks... and have blanket stitched two of the blocks. HERE'S MY QUESTION: Flannel has a little more "give" than cotton... should I edge-stitch the blocks prior to handling them as much as they'll be handled while hand appliqueing? I've been as gentle as possible with the two I've already appliqued, but still have some concern...

Help??? and thank you!!!!

Tartan 05-27-2013 07:38 AM

Are you hand or machine blanket stitching the fused snowflakes down? I would try a sample block and see how the appliqué goes and how ravelly the block edges get.

running1 05-27-2013 07:47 AM

Tartan... I'm hand-appliqueing... and so far, I've not had a problem with that... maybe I'm just being overly cautious?

Also.... as I walked away from the computer after posting this question... I don't want anyone to think that I take our Memorial Day lightly... it is a very special day to me and my family. Even though we've not had a family member who has made the ultimate sacrifice, we've known many who have and appreciate the many who we don't know and never will know. I don't want to offend anyone....

tessagin 05-27-2013 08:00 AM

I really can't believe any of the members on the board are offended. I've been on this board a lot this morning already but that doesn't mean for an instant any of us forget what this day is all about. I just dare anyone to make a negative comment about our military who have fought, are fighting and will continue fighting for our freedom. I've been in contact this morning with many of my family and friends who are memorializing this day. In just a few weeks we will be celebrating our independence. A friend of mine was just given the news by her son he has enlisted in the marines. He graduates next weekend and boot camp is the next week. She has a lot of emotions going on but the whole family is military and her husband and father and father-n-law are all marine vets and patriot guards. Lot of support going on.

nanacc 05-27-2013 03:26 PM

Would it help to starch the flannel??

rvsfan 05-28-2013 04:12 AM

Memorial Day

Well said.

rvsfan 05-28-2013 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6087982)
I really can't believe any of the members on the board are offended. I've been on this board a lot this morning already but that doesn't mean for an instant any of us forget what this day is all about. I just dare anyone to make a negative comment about our military who have fought, are fighting and will continue fighting for our freedom. I've been in contact this morning with many of my family and friends who are memorializing this day. In just a few weeks we will be celebrating our independence. A friend of mine was just given the news by her son he has enlisted in the marines. He graduates next weekend and boot camp is the next week. She has a lot of emotions going on but the whole family is military and her husband and father and father-n-law are all marine vets and patriot guards. Lot of support going on.

Well Said.

kathyjg 05-28-2013 06:22 AM

Very well said!!! I quilted yesterday and I have a son leaving for Korea in 8 wks, after 3tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan--his son graduated on Friday and leaves for basic on 7wks. It doesn't mean the holiday means any less to me because I quilted. I have a yellow ribbon in my front picture window that has been there since Iraq first started, I was going to take it down when my son came home but per his request it is there until everyone comes home. Back the the quilting question--I have not had a problem but if you are worried, maybe some spray starch?

T-Anne 05-30-2013 06:24 AM

Thank you for the kind Memorial Day words. Vietnam is a long time ago, I know, but the harsh memory and reality of that time still seems like only yesterday.