Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   EEEEEK! A bit puckery? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eeeeek-bit-puckery-t22062.html)

*QuilterWannabee* 06-29-2009 08:46 PM

Straight from the sewing womb, ok, I am a clueless sewer. I think maybe I have something set wrong on my sewing machine. The stitching is too close together I guess? Do I change the stitch type on my dial? I have a singer genie, old thing but the shop man said it works fine and is in good shape. Thought I was going to have a hissy fit when it took me ten minutes to thread the darn needle. Can't wait till I am through kindergarten lol.

amma 06-29-2009 08:50 PM

Do you have the manual for your machine??? I would try lengthening the stitches a little if you think they are too small. It could be just needing a minor adjustment...I kept notes by my machine on what settings I used for stitch lengths, tension settings etc... that way if they got moved or I need to change them when I sew something different, I don't have to guess or depend on my memory :roll: to get the perfect stitches again :wink:

*QuilterWannabee* 06-29-2009 08:56 PM

I couldn't find the manual so I sent away for a photocopied one. Didn't look at, just panicked and ran here. I changed the "pattern selector" and the second square I sewed on looked better. The note making sounds like a good idea. Thank you!

amma 06-29-2009 08:57 PM

I'm not the best at advice on tension....I just play around on a scrap before I start the block...then when I am happy with the stitches I go to the block. Sometimes it takes a few attempts and a tantrum or two :lol: :lol:

kluedesigns 06-29-2009 09:01 PM

you want to increase the stitch length but i don't know which button that is on your machine.

*QuilterWannabee* 06-29-2009 09:05 PM

Thanks ladies, that helps. Now my thread broke at least I am laughing now. I am going to look up tension in my manual. At least I feel like I am on the maiden voyage now...just choppy waters heh.

Ninnie 06-30-2009 04:10 AM

Hang in there, soon you will know your machine and it will be great!

Lacelady 06-30-2009 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by *QuilterWannabee*
Thought I was going to have a hissy fit when it took me ten minutes to thread the darn needle. Can't wait till I am through kindergarten lol.

If needle threading is a problem, you can get bulk quantities of needle threaders on ebay. That would leave you more sewing time!

cutebuns 06-30-2009 05:42 AM

sounds like you already have my advise, just keep at it, it will all come to you. it takes me a bit to get to know a new machine, each machine is different, each has it own idiosyncricies (sp?)

Joan 06-30-2009 05:49 AM

Tension can be to blame and like others have said you just
have to get to know your own machine.

Do hang in there---it's worth the effort!!!!! :lol:

(from someone who is know to have an actual hissy fit
if the tension is wrong and the stitches look bad :twisted: )