Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eleanor-burns-hard-follow-t233198.html)

grandmahoney 10-27-2013 02:53 AM

Understanding quilt directions

Originally Posted by Evy (Post 6367101)
Am I the only one who has trouble understanding Eleanor Burns' instructions? I feel like a total idiot. I received the pattern book for her lover's knot quilt and I'm lost just reading the instructions. I totally understand the block construction, but even with the charts cannot determine how many of each block I need. A couple people have posted photos of the lover's knot here on the board and I really love it.
I had the Trip Around the World pattern and totally gave up on that one. I made a TATW and it turned out well, but didn't use her method. In all fairness, I've used her log cabin method and it's great. Maybe I'm just not concentrating. I have an appointment with the cardiologist this morning and that's worrying me a bit. Maybe I'll just take the pattern book and read it on the hour and a half drive to the doctor's office.
Just feeling frustrated I guess!

Sometimes when I don't understand quilt directions and things don't quite make since I just go ahead and get started on it and things just fall into place in my head. Then later I think why didn't I understand it the first time it was easy. Good luck.

Ellageo 10-27-2013 05:05 AM

I think, you may be thinking too much. Just read & do, see how that goes. One , repeat one, step at a time. Good luck...go ahead try one more time!

danlynmartin 10-27-2013 05:22 AM

I find that if you do as you read and don't read ahead you will be fine. Many people are visual and can see in their head what she is saying when you read the whole thing. Others have to see it and do it. please don't give up.

bigsister63 10-27-2013 05:44 AM

I think that EB may be more hard to follow if you are an experienced quilter. she seems to give basic how-tos that we may allrready know. i found it hard to follow her due to so many pages of book has beginning instructions.

neece 10-27-2013 06:14 AM

I agree. I am amdextrex(I can use bothhands for many things) I CANNOT follow written or spoken directions. I have to actually DO whatever it is. I haven't tried EB but other patterns confuse me with all the words and no pictures. I give myself a block of time and actually do every step 1 at a time. At times I actually read the steps out loud as I work with the fabric.:p

wbfrog 10-27-2013 06:54 AM

Hi, there try looking at Eleanor Burns on www.youtube.com; she has a good series there and step-by-step instructions.

--Vontina

silverfoxmag 10-27-2013 10:56 AM

Rose Marie, she was my teacher of choice. I made my very first quilt, Log Cabin, with her. I bought her book and watched the video on my PBS station in the 70's. I love that she makes her blocks oversized and then squares them off so they come out perfectly when stitching them together.

Rodney 10-27-2013 11:55 AM

Evy, I'm happy to see your Dr's visit went well. I hope you continue to improve.

I watched the video and didn't mind the teaching style. Her assembly line method of construction makes good sense to me. It's her voice that I find annoying. The two quilts posted are beautiful. I didn't really get the overall pattern from the video, the quilts posted made it much more clear. I'm seriously considering this pattern as my first quilt.
Rodney

KathyPhillips 10-27-2013 12:41 PM

Beautiful quilt!!

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin (Post 6367480)
Hmmmm. I find her patterns the easiest of any I have ever made. I made the Lover's Knot and the only problem I had was when I started to put it together and I had to add the side triangles, thought I would not have it right as it was a King Size quilt and my Queen bed would not work well with the layout. How can we help you ? This is not really a hard pattern at all and I would love to help you in anyway. I think you might not have your mind on the quilt as much as being concerned about the doctor's visit. We will all pray for your good health. BTW, my book is very old too, and it worked for me.

Grama Chris 10-27-2013 05:49 PM

I started off in the 70's when her 1st bk out & have done everyone she wrote & found them having great explanations. Maybe you were just worried about your Dr's appt, I would be in the same position & very concerned. If I can ever help you with anything please feel free to contact me either here or on Facebook, ggod luck :-)