Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Electric Quilt 8 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/electric-quilt-8-a-t313640.html)

WesternWilson 12-29-2020 10:43 AM

Electric Quilt 8

I have just looked into upgrading to EQ 8 from EQ 7. The upgrade is $100 for a program that costs $169 on Amazon.

Am I just being a Scrooge, or is that an awfully steep upgrade price for users that have already bought the software in the past?

I don't use this too often but I like to keep it updated. This time I am really hesitating.

juliasb 12-29-2020 12:00 PM

My last upgrade was with EQ4. I just didn't use it enough to justify the cost. I know many people love it to death and use it all the time.. What I liked the most about it was how it made up PP designs. It sounds like a steep upgrade price to me considering that upgrades shouldn't be more than $50+ since the base of the program doesn't change all that much.

greensleeves 12-29-2020 12:03 PM

I started with the first EQ and upgraded through EQ7 and decided not to go to 8. I'm sure 8 has some nice features for someone who uses it to its fullest extent but for me and as infrequently as I use it the 7 has all the features I need. Hard decision to make. Look at what is additional over the 7 and if you'd use those features and if the upgrade cost is "pocket change" for you go for it.

patricej 12-29-2020 12:38 PM

i did upgrade to EQ8.
the interface is quite a bit different to 7 and below.

it isn't that i don't like it.
it's fine.
but i think you'll be happy enough if you stick with 7.

deborahscanlon 12-29-2020 03:05 PM

Agree

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 8447323)
i did upgrade to EQ8.
the interface is quite a bit different to 7 and below.

it isn't that i don't like it.
it's fine.
but i think you'll be happy enough if you stick with 7.

I wasn't a super user of EQ7 and I'm still not a super user of EQ8. That said, I'm sure there are some upgrades to 8 but I really haven't found them yet so I don't think the upgrade was worth the price to me.

redbreast 12-29-2020 03:19 PM

I upgraded to EQ8 and do appreciate the changes. It is much easier to perform any procedure without having to look up the instructions. I don't use it all the time but when I do I do appreciate how much easier the EQ 8 is to use. I upgraded when it was first introduced and we got a special price. Don't remember what it was but I know at the time I felt it was worth it.

mjkgquilt 12-29-2020 03:21 PM

I upgraded to 8 from 7. It is me and I find 8 easier to use. Don't remember what the price was for the upgrade. I made a quilt years ago in a lap size in a class. A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to make it in a king-size. Had to create the block, add sashing and borders. Was very happy with the king-size quilt. It was easy to decided on width of sashing and size of borders.

eparys 12-29-2020 04:35 PM

I think it is all dependent on how much you use EQ 7 and how comfortable you are with computer programs.

I started with 5 and have now upgraded through 8. I did the upgrade when it first came out. I agree with PatriceJ - the interface is different and it took me quite awhile to get used to. In all honesty, EQ7 covered most of everything I really needed to do and as always there are many features that I never use. The one ability I love is I can easily manage the computers I have EQ loaded on unlike 7 (there is a tab in EQ8 where you can "deactivate" a computer).

I am a techie so play with EQ for almost everything I make so the upgrade was good for me.

dunster 12-29-2020 05:01 PM

I upgraded 3 years ago when 8 first came out. It was $75 then. I do appreciate the upgrades, but I use the program all the time.

Sharongn 12-29-2020 05:17 PM

For those who have EQ, do you mostly use it to design quilts or what? I am considering buying it with some gift cards I received and would be interested in hearing how y'all use it.

Thanks!