Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Electric Stove Top Cover (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/electric-stove-top-cover-t314203.html)

pinkflowers 02-09-2021 02:49 PM

Electric Stove Top Cover

My daughter asked for a quilted cover for her electric stove top.

I've already had the THAT'S A FIRE HARZARD!! discussion with her. LOL She's just looking to protect the flat stove surface when placing items on top while the stove is not in use.

Any suggestions?

I'm wondering about using Insul-Bright for the batting and that silver ironing board fabric for the backing. But are those really necessary?

Onebyone 02-09-2021 03:05 PM

I would suggest a big silicon mat. It will soften any bluntness and not be as bad a fire hazard. No matter how many times we tell our kids no matter how old, do they listen? LOL

pinkflowers 02-09-2021 03:14 PM

Yep, my first suggestion to my daughter was a silicone mat. LOL I've bought them on Amazon for other uses - they're great.

She's currently using dish towels on top and wants something nicer.

tallchick 02-09-2021 03:37 PM

Is it electric with coils or induction glass cooktop? How about a noodle board? Just go to Etsy and search Noodle Board, there are many nice ones.

Quiltwoman44 02-09-2021 06:07 PM

Oh my goodness, do look up the Noodle board. they are gorgeous or can be. depends on what she wants but she should like these.

mkc 02-09-2021 06:23 PM

I would not do it. Heat-proof, fire-proof cover only, which is not a quilted item. It is far too easy to accidentally turn a burner on or put something on while a burner was still hot.

And she should not use dish towels as those are likely flammable.

thimblebug6000 02-09-2021 06:49 PM

My only comment on this is... even though I looked at the red light that showed me it was still hot.... I plunked my hand down on it....ouch! I would never consider putting a cover on this type of stove top that you can not fathom how hot it is!..... Back in the day...I did have ceramic type covers that fit over the coils ....but not until they were cool to the touch...again....ouch!

Tartan 02-09-2021 10:13 PM

I bought the new Teflon like sheet that goes in the bottom of my oven. It is dandy and any spills wipe right off. I might see if you can get something like that and then make a quilt to go on the top and just attach it at the corners?

WMUTeach 02-10-2021 04:51 AM

The idea of a quilt is lovely but yikes way to dangerous becasue as mentioned above we are human and do things without thinking. The Noodle Board, something I had to look up, seems like a much better and wiser idea. Make her a table runner and bless her with a noodle board.

Karamarie 02-10-2021 06:25 AM

It is heavier but my son-in-law made a cover for their smooth top stove to protect it from kids, etc. It is made out of wood so is kind of heavy but daughter likes as she puts things on it when serving buffet to company.