Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elmers Glue for Basting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elmers-glue-basting-t211410.html)

nannyrick 01-19-2013 01:05 PM

Elmers Glue for Basting?

I read there are some who use Elmers for basting so, I decided to try it.
I basted with it, however, there are "wet"spots all over where the glue
came through.
Is this going to show and have to be washed or will it go away. It seems
to me that some of the spots are dry but still show.
Did I do something wrong or is lthis what it does?
It is the school glue.
Your replys will be appreciated.
Elaine

nhweaver 01-19-2013 01:08 PM

I am curious to see the replies. I have been hesistant about using elmer's school glue, worried from not washing out - to gumming up my machine when sewing the binding on. I hope it is an easy fix.

Peckish 01-19-2013 02:17 PM

I have not had any problems with glue washing out, as long as it's Elmer's "Washable" school glue. I have run into school glue (an off brand, not Elmer's) that I did have problems with, and it wasn't labelled washable. So I stick with the Elmer's washable.

ontheriver 01-19-2013 02:18 PM

I does that when you get a glob of glue in one spot. It will come out when you wash. Never had a problem with the machine or needle with it.

Lilrain 01-19-2013 02:27 PM

I have friends that use it a lot for binding, basting it to hold in place prior to final machine stitching. they love it. i think maybe you need to use a little less. And it can be thinned with water

dott443 01-19-2013 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain (Post 5797860)
I have friends that use it a lot for binding, basting it to hold in place prior to final machine stitching. they love it. i think maybe you need to use a little less. And it can be thinned with water

I also used for binding and had no trouble. You need to apply very thin and then then use your iron to heat set it. It also helps if you have a small nozzle attachment on the glue bottle so the glue comes out in a very fine thin line. Purchased mine on line a some craft store....sorry I don't remember where. Hope this helps!

nannyrick 01-19-2013 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by dott443 (Post 5797899)
I also used for binding and had no trouble. You need to apply very thin and then then use your iron to heat set it. It also helps if you have a small nozzle attachment on the glue bottle so the glue comes out in a very fine thin line. Purchased mine on line a some craft store....sorry I don't remember where. Hope this helps!

I guess I'll have to wash before gifting then because it is now dry and there are spots everywhere.
I guess I used too much. Should have stayed with my 505 spray.
Thanks for all your input. I appreciate it.

quilttiger 01-19-2013 04:47 PM

I also like Elmer's (washable) school glue....it works well to use dots of glue rather than a continuous line. This probably would reduce the amount of glue used. I have had no problems with the needle gumming up and so on.

Dar-midlife 01-19-2013 06:18 PM

I use Elmer's WASHABLE school glue on my bindings and heat set with iron all the time and have not had a problem with washing out OR any problem gumming up my needle or anything like that. I started using it after watching Sharon Schamber's you tube video on bindings and I figure SHE (!) should know! LOL
I love it; it works for me:-0

pumpkinpatchquilter 01-19-2013 08:41 PM

I don't care for the white glue but I do use their glue sticks for applique and basting. I was just recently turned on to using the glue and so far no issues. If anyone has any real issues...I sure hope they post about it because I do worry a little that it might yellow later on down the road.