Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elmers Glue and FMQ Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elmers-glue-fmq-question-t269546.html)

SherylM 09-04-2015 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott (Post 7305791)
As SherylM said, some people use a fine tip for putting a fine line or a series of drops of glue for applique, etc. There's been threads on where to find them, I don't have one because I use washable glue for basting only. Love using it.

Tate

I believe Sharon Schamber sells the tips on her site but when I looked at them they were very pricey. I found a two-pack of small plastic bottles with fine tips at Hobby Lobby for just a few dollars and they work great. The tips are so fine that I was afraid they would get clogged, but they don't. The glue doesn't even seem to stick to the inside of the tip, plus they have little caps that are "tethered" to the bottles so they don't go missing.

mengler 09-05-2015 04:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Alice PD (Post 7305292)
I am experimenting with using glue instead of pins during the piecing process of my quilt. It is a mellon quilt. I lightly glue the outside edge of the seam, then stick the pieces of fabric together (not gluing near the actual sewing line - only along the outside edge of the piece) It works nicely, but I have noticed that as the glue dries (even though it is only a tiny bit of glue) it makes the outside edge of the sewn together pieces hard. My question is what happens after you have prepared the quilt to be quilted. As your needle goes along and hits those hard places, is your rhythm thrown off? If so, does this lead to jurky movements and lines? I was thinking about cutting the 1/16th to 1/8th inch glued area away before FMQ but am wondering if this might compromise the seams. I am still working on sample blocks before I actually start the real quilt. Have any of you noticed any trouble with the FMQ process (as it goes over the glued seams) when it comes to actually quilting the quilt?

I use a glue tip applicator bottle. It's about 2 ounces of glue with a teaspoon or so of water. The needle tips are BLUNT and can be changed to whatever size you like. It has a luer connector which means it screws on like a syringe needle but again is BLUNT. Works like a charm. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Bottle-Pla...item27dc5b6ea6

Gee Hope 09-05-2015 04:14 AM

A few weeks ago someone mentioned diluting the glue with water in a spray bottle. I would appreciate the ratio of water to glue that is suggested. I am sure you must thoroughly rinse the sprayer each time with water but I also wonder if you can leave the water/glue mix in the sprayer or if you need to rinse all of it out each time.

tessagin 09-05-2015 04:27 AM

I tried the glue basting and didn't dilute. What I did use was after applying the glue, a paint brush to kind of smooth it out a little so it wasn't so concentrated and get lumpy. After the sandwich was together, I took a blow dryer. A fan works also when you need to multi-task.

tessagin 09-05-2015 04:29 AM

I only ever do it first on a test block before the full deal. Make a note and pin it to the test block every step from beginning to end.

Lady Diana 09-05-2015 04:59 AM

Alice, try "dotting" rather than a line......unless you have a really super fine line, it gets a little more glue than you need...just put dots where a pin hole would be if you were pinning. Works for me.

Snooze2978 09-05-2015 05:40 AM

I use glue all the time in my piecing process. I too try to keep the glue to a minimum and outside the stitching line as to not gum up my machine needle. When I go to quilt it I have not found any issues when I hit the glue areas........so far but then I use robotics in my quilting so I wouldn't know if and when I hit an area anyway. So far I don't see any problems with the quilt stitches. I also use the glue while applying the binding on before I take it to the machine to stitch down. Saves having to use pins and pricking myself leaving blood on the quilt. I then wash the quilt to remove any glue, markings, etc. before I give it to the recipent.

IBQUILTIN 09-05-2015 08:43 AM

I started using glue to baste when I was doing a lot of tiny pieces in applique, and have not had any kind of problem with it whatsoever. It was a natural progression for me to move on with it to piecing blocks and getting things lined up more accurately than I could with pins. I have not used the school glue to baste a quilt together, but I am sure it will work just fine

madamekelly 09-05-2015 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 7305318)
I don't dilute my glue with water and I don't spray it on. We've had some recent discussions on this if you want to put glue basting or elmers, or some combination into the search function. Most of us use it to replace pin basting which means we drizzle it on in a grid pattern about the same distance apart that pins would go. I've done over 10 quilts this way and have never had a gummed or broken needle and the sewing machines don't have a problem, at least in my experience. You do have to let the glue dry. If there is a glob from the drizzling, as I am doing it, while it is wet, I just smush it with my finger and move on. There are several of us who have wrist, hand, carpal tunnel, etc. issues and they dilute and either paint on or spray on. that is always a possibility. The rest of us just drizzle from the bottle. Let us know how it works for you!!

If you put your Elmer's school glue in a condiment bottle like they sell for picnic use, the glue flows better, and it is much easier on your hands since you don't need to squeeze it so hard. I use one that has its own cap so it will not dry out, and buy my glue by the gallon online to refill it.

MissM 09-05-2015 10:46 AM

Thanks for all the comments and wonderful insights, all you gals are super!