Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elmer's glue is my new BFF! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elmers-glue-my-new-bff-t198105.html)

ellenmg 08-21-2012 04:59 AM

Thanks for the reminder about using glue. I am repairing some clothing for my SIL and several pieces are really stretchy, slippery knits. I botched one already, sewing it crooked. DUH! I completely forgot about the Elmer's.....

Latrinka 08-21-2012 05:11 AM

Yes indeed! I'm getting me some!

Tashana 08-21-2012 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by hevemi (Post 5455972)
Would any water soluble glue work? We don't have Elmer's in my country as far as I know. I have used regular glue sticks successfully.

I would try a glue that is as close to Elmer's School Glue as possible. It should be washable, acid free, nontoxic. Apparently Elmer's is made with starch and that's why it works best for us.

catmcclure 08-21-2012 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 5453558)
Glue sticks work the same way! I prefer them as there is less mess, and iron dry faster.

Glue sticks are nice; however, they dry out too fast and cost more. If a bottle starts drying out you can just add a tiny bit of water - glue sticks don't play nice that way.

Morag 08-21-2012 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by hevemi (Post 5455972)
Would any water soluble glue work? We don't have Elmer's in my country as far as I know. I have used regular glue sticks successfully.

I would think so....pm your address and I'll be happy to mail you a couple of bottles of Elmer's School glue free !
You will love it...

AllAboutScraps 08-21-2012 08:14 AM

Wow...another use for school supplies. I'll have to add this to my arsenal (sewing stuff).
Thanks for the tip...I am learning so much! Now if I just had the time to USE it.

Pat G 08-21-2012 08:46 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this video again. I just finished a project where I should have used this method. Hopefully I'll remember it for my next one. What a great problem solver.

SewExtremeSeams 08-21-2012 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom (Post 5455931)
That's already happened. :) Roxanne Glue-Baste-It does the same thing but costs more. The advantage is it comes with the thin metal tip like Sharon Schamber uses. I've found the regular container of Elmer's puts more glue on me than on the project but the thin metal tip is great. An alternative is an Elmer's Glue Pen. The only place I've been able to find it is Walmart's and the tip isn't as thin as the one on Roxanne's but is much neater than the regular Elmer's.

I bought the Roxanne's baste it and the tip is wonderful. I plan to use Elmer's washable school glue when the container is empty. I may have to thin it a bit with water.

Shoofly1 08-21-2012 09:22 AM

Would it work on applique? It sounds like it would be easier than using fusible web.

SewExtremeSeams 08-21-2012 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure (Post 5456281)
Glue sticks are nice; however, they dry out too fast and cost more. If a bottle starts drying out you can just add a tiny bit of water - glue sticks don't play nice that way.

Try putting your glue sticks in a ziploc bag and keeping it in your fridge until you need them!!!!:eek: