Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elmer's Glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elmers-glue-t250378.html)

CurliQ 07-18-2014 05:00 PM

Elmer's Glue

I'm sure this is a question that has already been answered, so I'm sorry for the repeat. I researched the site and couldn't find an answer. How exactly do you use Elmer's school glue for basting?

loisf 07-18-2014 05:09 PM

I use painter's tape to tape my backing to the hardwood floor. Then I just squeeze a thin line of glue back and forth across the backing about 4" apart. I then spread the batting over the backing and squeeze another line back and forth across the batting. Then I smooth the quilt top over the batting. I let it dry for several hours or overnight. Voila! Ready to quilt! I've also heard of some folks who thin the glue a bit with water and then use a small paint roller to spread the glue. It has worked great for me. Good luck.

Treasureit 07-18-2014 05:26 PM

I use Elmers School Glue only. I sandwich, fold back 1/2 of the backing and do very small dots about every 4" all over that half and then I repeat for the other half....iron it so the glue dries and adheres. Flip over the whole sandwich and repeat for the top.

ThreadHead 07-18-2014 05:29 PM

I use Elmer's spray glue.

Doggramma 07-18-2014 06:26 PM

Small squiggles if I'm basting a quilt sandwich. Then I iron it to "set it up" otherwise it has to dry before you start quilting. I've also seen it used to hold pieces together instead of using pins (for piecing). Just a drop or two on your matching part then iron to dry it. I haven't used the glue for that though.

CurliQ 07-18-2014 06:30 PM

It's that easy? I thought it was going to be some formula to test my high school chemistry classes. Thanks so much!

quiltingbuddy 07-18-2014 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead (Post 6807455)
I use Elmer's spray glue.

I didn't know there was such a thing. Is it sticky like 505? I hate that overspray so I rarely use it. Maybe this would be a better answer.

Buckeye Rose 07-18-2014 07:06 PM

It has to be washable school glue....the generic brands work too. I drizzle thin lines of glue about 3 to 4 inches apart in kind of a grid, straight from the bottle, onto the batting. Then spread out the top, smoothing and patting down. After it air dries for about an hour, I flip and repeat the process to glue down the backing. If I get a blob of glue just smooth out with your finger. Cleanup is just a damp washrag! Be sure to let the sandwich dry completely before quilting....either air dry or speed up the processusing a dry iron. And now is the perfect time to stock up on glue at the back to school sales! I never have any shifting or wrinkles, nor do I have to pin the edges. When the quilting/binding is done I simply wash with detergent in warm water.

KwiltyKahy 07-18-2014 07:08 PM

I will only baste with Elmer's now. And yes, it is that easy. I use the glue sticks for things like binding.
I still think we should own stock.

ShelleyCS 07-18-2014 07:36 PM

I'm so bad. I've read about it over and over so I tried it. I just laid the backing down, drizzled glue on half of it then topped with half the batting, spread it with my hands, smoothing as I went. Wash up, repeat with other half, then repeat with top. Then ironed, then rest overnight. Done and then quilt.