Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elmer's School Glue instead of pinning? Do you really do this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elmers-school-glue-instead-pinning-do-you-really-do-t210629.html)

PenniF 01-10-2013 12:51 PM

Right there with you "Gluebees"..... i use it for seam matching, binding, tacking down applique pieces, sandwiching quilts - any place i might have put a pin in the past gets a dot of glue now !!! Of all the hints and techniques that i've found on this Board- the washable glue has produced great results and saved me the most time and effort - and blood - cuz no more needle pokes ! LOVE IT !!!

dunster 01-10-2013 01:50 PM

This doesn't specifically address the question about Elmer's school glue, but I was recently sewing curves for a Judy Niemeyer pattern. The pattern instructions said to use a glue stick, and I did. I couldn't believe how easily the pieces went together. I'm going to try using more glue in the future instead of just pins.

LivelyLady 01-10-2013 01:57 PM

Kudos to whomever it was who first posted the Elmer's glue basting technique! I have basted basted 3 quilts since reading the thread and I love, love, love it!! The quilt sandwich is so smooth and it stay together perfectly. I'll never pin baste ever again.

EasyPeezy 01-10-2013 02:54 PM

Try different methods and see what works best for you. I might love glue basting
but you might hate it or vice versa. Personally, I use Elmer's washable school glue
for binding and I just started using it for basting my quilt sandwich. I still prefer
to pin for piecing because I press my seams open and I think glueing would be
too time consuming for me...unless it's a special project where glue would help
then I might.

Yarn or Fabric 01-10-2013 03:05 PM

I use it for seams sometimes if it's giving me fits and I'm a believer for using it for binding. I love it. I never miss a spot when I machine bind - I don't hand sew at all. There are others who love hand sewing and find it relaxing but I am not one of them. I find it tedious so machine binding is for me and after discovering using washable school glue, I'll never do it any other way :D

Tashana 01-10-2013 03:12 PM

I used it up until recently when I got my Bailey. I still use it for basting smaller project that would be a colossal waste of time to load on the frame. It works, it really does and I only had one pucker and that was my fault, not the glue. The latest one I did was 60"x60" Bargello and it quilted beautifully on my little DSM. My LA skills are still weaker than my DSM skills so I keep a healthy supply of Elmer's on hand at all times.

schoolteacher 01-10-2013 03:47 PM

I have used Elmer's glue to baste and it does a great job. I didn't use any pins or basting when I used the glue. But when I handquilted, it was rather stiff and hard to push the needle into and through the material. Also, when I put the binding on by hand, it was hard to go through a spot of glue because it was so hard. Would I use it again? Probably. Sure beats crawling around on the floor!!

QuiltnLady1 01-10-2013 04:11 PM

I use both liquid glue and glue sticks -- depends on how fast I need it dry. I have used the Roaxanne Glue Baste It and the Elmers -- they seem to work equally well with only the price as a difference. I had a friend who was doing a long strip with tons of intersections, she had the glue baste already and I suggested that she use it since she was struggling with pins. She loved it -- and was able to work much faster with much better results than pinning.

kookey426 01-10-2013 04:57 PM

I used Elmers school glue for a table topper at Christmas..I am SOLD!!!!!!! Worked great!! Can't wait till I can try a larger project!

komammy 01-10-2013 06:54 PM

I guess I'm not understanding. Can you use the Elmer's to actually baste a large quilt? If so, is there a way to do it? Are there any tutorials on this.