Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elmer's School Glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elmers-school-glue-t285676.html)

quilt1950 01-31-2017 04:46 PM

Elmer's School Glue

I checked three different stores, in three different parts of town, and they were all out of Elmer's School Glue! Quilters, are we buying too much???

I found another brand of washable school glue, and I hope it works as well. But I am curious about the shortage of Elmer's School Glue

Kythcat 01-31-2017 04:51 PM

I would think that it's normal, most stores only stock up on it during back to school.

sushi 01-31-2017 06:23 PM

I think Kythcat is correct. It's all about timing. That said, have you checked out business supply stores like Staples? Or drugstores like Walgreen's? Or all-purpose stores like Target? Those are the places I can usually find school glue (and other school supplies) off-season.

If you're still unable to find school glue, there might be other options, depending on what you're trying to accomplish. Is there a glue-stick available that washes out as easily as school glue? An adhesive spray like 505 might meet your needs. A super-thick (100%?) solution of fabric starch might also work - but I've never tried this so don't know.

All that said, I'll bet the brand you purchased will work just fine!

Good luck!

Stitchnripper 01-31-2017 06:25 PM

I found that too. Looked for some today and bought the last tiny bottle I found. Shelves were empty.

quiltingcandy 01-31-2017 06:38 PM

Not sure where you are located but there is no shortage here. I get the my supply during the "Back-to-School" sales or I go to the Dollar Tree for their washable glue. My DD is a school teacher and she used to be able to get the Elmer's School glue for $.01 a bottle with other purchases, teachers were able to buy up to 30 bottles. That was nice, but they didn't need that much that year and it separated. Luckily we just shook the heck out of it which helped but now we just buy what we think we will use in a year.

Peckish 01-31-2017 07:00 PM

You can always buy it online, too. We Americans are so lucky to have soooo many choices, the stores don't have room for everything on the shelves.

Jane Quilter 01-31-2017 09:50 PM

the world has changed.....and I might be old, but I am choosing to change with it. I am tired of trudging from store to store looking for common items like glue and trying to out guess why stores don't have it. When I do find it, I am "grateful" to pay what they are asking. More often than not, I am going home tired and empty handed. Now, I skip the day trip shopping, I stay home and order it on line from the best price of vendors who have it in stock and deliver to my door in 2-3 days. I use all that time I use to shop quilting. I am the happiest old lady around.... elmer's stick glue I bought about a month ago , I think it was a 60 pack, yes 60, for 1/2 price and free shipping. My hubby laughed, my wallet and I were happy. And...yes....back to quilting.....

Onebyone 02-01-2017 05:17 AM

I'm old enough to not worry about the future of online shopping good or bad. It suits me just fine now and available so that is what I do. Walmart here has a full shelf of Elmer's School glue.

willferg 02-01-2017 06:50 AM

I was recently searching for Elmer's School glue as well, and for some reason thought I had to have the blue stuff, which I couldn't find anywhere but online. After checking and realizing I could use the white, I found it at Staples and bought the generic for $1.99 each.

I definitely need to remember to buy it at school time.

Weezy Rider 02-01-2017 07:12 AM

Hasn't been in supermarkets or even some other craft stores. The tips for the bottles seem to have disappeared, too.
Amazon had them, now can't find. Only one quilting store.

I think they are changing to gel as it doesn't drip. That I have seen. Maybe preschool is getting tired of cleaning up after little kids. With overloaded classrooms in some cases, I don't blame them.

If the maker of Eileen's or Quilter's Choice would do something about new tips for bottles, --------

I resent having to buy more glue to get a new bottle which is what's available in LQS. I haven't used up all the old one before the tip buggered and no amount of hot water and soap can fix.

I did finally find some larger bottles, but no extra tips for those, either.