Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery gals Help me embellish this art piece (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-gals-help-me-embellish-art-piece-t238185.html)

MaryKatherine 01-05-2014 01:18 PM

Embroidery gals Help me embellish this art piece

I'm doing a Tuscan wall as a quilt assignment in my fibre group and I decided I would embroider wisteria blossoms in French Knots over the wall. But I'm having a terrible time hanging on to the needles and pulling it through the 5000 knots I'll need. My knots aren't too tight.
My backing is a thick canvas and its driving me crazy, (not withstanding the cramping my hand is experiencing. ) I tried rubber gloves and in addition to feeling like the Michelin Man I pierced them several time (OPPS they were my husbands for when he sterilizes his wine bottles)
Any suggestions. MY wisteria is looking SOOO good but its will take me months of frustration to do this tiny detail.
Thanks
MaryKatherine

carolstickelmaier 01-05-2014 01:53 PM

I find that if the needle is getting hard to pull through the fabric I usually keep a bar of soap handy and occasionally stick the needle in it. That's what we did with diaper pins. Of course that was decades ago. I'm not sure you can even buy cloth diapers anymore. Good Luck!

lynnie 01-05-2014 02:16 PM

maybe also try to sharpen the needle with emery bags

Tartan 01-05-2014 02:24 PM

How big do you need the knots? Could you intersperse them with purple beads or buttons to cut down on how many you need?

Patti25314 01-05-2014 02:27 PM

I like Tartan's idea or can you use a larger eyed needle and yarn -- assuming you are using floss. I did a red bud tree one time and appliquéd all these little circles on it for blooms. Had to do a few at a time to not go blind - lol.

MaryKatherine 01-05-2014 02:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd include a picture to see what I'm up against. I'm using 3 strands and a 3 wrap knot. Standard I think?
I started out with a short needle to maximize the usable thread. My problem is pulling the needle through after the wrap. I can't grasp it securely. But I have the empty wall on the left to fill. Sigh
The best solution I've come up with so far is a rubber band wound alternately around my thump and forefinger. (switching when the blood supply seems compromised... What we do for Art??)
I DO intend to add beads but they were intended as accent, after the vines are in place.
This may take awhile (poor fingers)
MaryKatherine

Grandma Bonnie 01-05-2014 03:21 PM

It will be beautiful! I'm no help in what to do but if you can just do a few at a time (do you have that much time?) maybe it wouldn't be so painful. Good luck ~ I'd love to see it finished!

PaperPrincess 01-05-2014 03:25 PM

It's going to be stunning. Maybe break down and use a longer needle. Maybe try a thinner one...

marilynr 01-05-2014 03:52 PM

I use a small jewelry pliers to pull the needle through.

Nammie to 7 01-05-2014 05:00 PM

It will be beautiful -- make sure you have a sharp needle, maybe that would help.