Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery Machine experts out there? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-machine-experts-out-there-t196444.html)

Casi 08-01-2012 02:41 PM

Embroidery Machine experts out there?

In the past I've seen discussion about embroidery machines but I never paid any attention as I really had no interest in them. Today I was visiting a friend who just purchased a new Brother machine....don' know what model but with some extras like thread she purchased it on Amazon for less that $400. I was impressed when she showed me some blocks that she had done. She shared with me that she was disappointed because she thought she could do quilt blocks with a bigger design than just about 4 inches. Could you experts tell me if there is such an machine? If she can find one that she likes better she is going to sell me her new one and let me make payments!

Weezy Rider 08-01-2012 03:07 PM

Most TOL machines have at least an 8" in one direction hoop. The Pfaffs and the Vikings probably have the largest - even the 2170 has a 12x12, but you have to split the design and flip the hoop not rehoop. Brother and Babylock did have 8x8. (Might be larger now)

I've got a 5x5" hoop on the Pfaff that will do a decent center. Newer machines have larger.

quilts4charity 08-01-2012 03:14 PM

My brother Innovis 2500D will do up to an 6x10 design. I also have a 1500D and it does the same size, I bought it used and got a good deal. I think the newer top of the line ones do like 8X12 in the single needle machines.

Candace 08-01-2012 03:20 PM

Yes, TOL Berninas, Pfaff and Vikings have some of the largest fields. You get what you pay for really, and the lower end machines will limit you, for sure.

geraldine 08-01-2012 06:03 PM

I have a brother 4000 it will do 7 x 12 embroidery field love it

Dolphyngyrl 08-01-2012 09:12 PM

The brother quattro does a 8x12 I think but you will be shelling out the big buck for machines that do this size. The bigger the hoop, the more money it will cost you. Is your friend ready for that kind of investment

shawnan 08-01-2012 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 5411478)
Most TOL machines have at least an 8" in one direction hoop. The Pfaffs and the Vikings probably have the largest - even the 2170 has a 12x12, but you have to split the design and flip the hoop not rehoop. Brother and Babylock did have 8x8. (Might be larger now)

I've got a 5x5" hoop on the Pfaff that will do a decent center. Newer machines have larger.

Yes, the newer Pfaffs will do almost 14x14 without splitting the design, if you're willing to invest in the bigger hoop as it does not come as a standard hoop. My friend bought the hoop, so I figure I'll just borrow it every once in a while. ;) :thumbup:

If your friend is in the market for a machine that will do bigger designs, tell her to check on the Pfaff Creative 4.0. It has recently been discontinued and she might be able to get a good deal from a dealer. My dealer was selling them for almost half of the original MSRP.

ka9sdn 08-02-2012 04:17 AM

Janome has several emb. machines that take a variety of hoops--look for a good used one or jump in and get a new one. They are costly but a good dealer will give lessons and they last forever.

kbeuchert 08-02-2012 04:21 AM

It may be that it does do larger areas and that she just needs to buy the larger hoop. Have her check with Brother regarding that. I love my Embroidery machine. I bet she will continue to as well!

Pieces2 08-02-2012 05:32 AM

It depends on the machine. Some of the cheaper machines only stitch a 4 X 4 design. The better machines have larger hoops that can be used. My Bernina (1998) has a medium, and large hoop and I have stitched 5 X 7 designs in the large hoop, 8 x 10, which makes a great size for quilt blocks. I think the newer machines may even have a larger hoop, not sure what it would be used for. (?)