Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   embroidery machine is here need advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-machine-here-need-advice-t264743.html)

omgtimmcgraw 05-01-2015 11:03 PM

embroidery machine is here need advice

my new and first embroideryt machine arrived a few days go. its the project runway limited edition brother LB-6800.

when i first started playing with it i was very over whelmed.. took me hours to figure stuff out. on day one i got it to embroider a 3 line label for me. i was super excited. day two i was winding bobbins as i was sewing on my other machine. again i was super excited. now on day three i am sewing. i am having trouble getting use to it. mainly the size. i normally sew on a elna 6200. this new machine looks like a toy next to it. but i must say this little machine as lot of features i am not use to. i feel very spoiled. my husband thinks i am crazy when i get excited everytime i find a new feature. now if i buy a new sewing machine it will have to have the same features.

now for the reason i started this post i was wondering if anyone could tell me a good site to by embroidery thread thats not over priced for a set of like 60+ and also i good place to get embroidery patterns to down load or buy cards.

thank you in advance

quiltingcandy 05-01-2015 11:19 PM

I like threadart.com for thread and SewingMachinesplus.com. A friend of mine ordered Brother embroidery thread through Ebay and she is very happy with it.
For designs I like the Embroiderylibrary.com and embroideres.com.

There are so many sites out there - have fun looking.

IrishgalfromNJ 05-02-2015 01:33 AM

I like threadart.com for embroidery thread. I have purchased embroidery patterns from etsy sellers and embroidery library.

Have fun with your machine.

erindipity 05-02-2015 01:52 AM

I too like thread art embroidery threads. When Joann has thread sales I buy thread there too, but mostly buy from thread art. My favorite site for designs is embroidery library. I also search out free designs from the internet too.
Enjoy your new machine.

Sandygirl 05-02-2015 03:39 AM

I would suggest to not buy thread assortments. I made that mistake years ago and i have many spools that have never been used. That does not save money. Buy thread for specific projects, in my humble experience. Buy extra black. I use it often.

Have fun learning your machine!

Sandy

PaperPrincess 05-02-2015 04:17 AM

And now for the opposing point of view. I got a thread assortment when I got my machine many years ago. I think it was a good decision. I like to do embroideries with subtle shading and many colors. If I were buying thread by the spool, I'd have all pretty colors, but none of that weird taupe that I need to get my design to pop.
If you are planning on doing simple labels, or kids' designs with large blocks of primary colors, then an assortment may not be the best.
I would purchase a single spool of thread that you are considering for your set and make sure that your machine likes it. I have successfully used Thread Art in the past, but it won't work on my girlfriend's machine. Sometimes they have minds of their own!

psychonurse 05-02-2015 05:07 AM

My embroidery machine does not like ALL of the brands. Buy a couple of spools and try them first would be my suggestion.

crideout 05-02-2015 05:14 AM

Check out Metro embroidery thread http://metroemb.com. They are reasonable priced which is something I appreciated as a beginner machine embroiderer. The few items I embroidered look great.

Gay 05-02-2015 05:28 AM

If you're looking for embroidery designs try OregonPatchworks.com they have some great prices at times. Be fussy what you buy, or you will end up with thousands of designs you never use, and make sure they are the correct size for your hoop.

Girlfriend 05-02-2015 06:23 AM

I also bought a thread assortment when I bought my machine, and feel it is the single most valued thing I did. I don't have to "make due" for a color on a project I am working on. I have all the colors I will ever need....and buying in assortment saves money VS buying what you need when you need it. Thread is very expensive. Assortment prices make thread affordable, in my opinion.