Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   embroidery machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-machine-t187990.html)

Sunnye 05-03-2012 02:52 PM

embroidery machine?

I thought I might want to try some embroidery. I don't want to get a machine that I will be immediately unhappy with (because it doesn't do what I'd like or too small a space to deal with) but neither do I want the top of the line. I have looked at the Brother PE770E for about $600 and the Brother PE-500. My local dealer says she knows me and a "middle of the line" machine she would recommend for me would be about $6000! (I don't think she really knows me!)
What do you smarties out there think? Or should I keep looking a while longer?
I will say that this will be something I don't think I will do all the time; just want to be able to do if I want.
Thanks so much for your advice.

Dyan 05-03-2012 03:29 PM

I have the PE770 and for the price it is a good deal, it stitches up to 5x7 and has auto threader and cutter. It used PES designs, I love mine.

Raggiemom 05-03-2012 03:32 PM

I just went through this and bought the PE770. It arrived today and I took it out of the box, but that's as far as I've gotten! I didn't want to spend alot of money but wanted to be able to do 5x7 and use a flash drive so the Brother sounded perfect.

Nanamoms 05-03-2012 05:19 PM

I LOVE my Brother PE700II which does up to a 5x7. The hoop is a great every-thing size.

Christine- 05-03-2012 05:53 PM

I would recommend buying a used machine from someone wanting to upgrade. Find one that has the features you're interested in, play with it and when you decide which features you need in a machine, then buy a new one. That's what I did. When you go to sell the used machine you'll get the same price you paid for it most likely.

Keep in mind, warranties do NOT transfer to new owners, many people don't realize this. Without a warranty, the machine is worth less than half of what they paid for it, depending on the age even less.

lonestardreams 05-03-2012 05:59 PM

I don't have that machine but I do have a Brother embroidery machine, a Brother serger and a Brother sewing machine. I love them all.

I have seen others recommend the 770. A 5x7 hoop is the one I use the most with my machine.

Have fun

almond 05-03-2012 06:07 PM

I have a brother 770 and love it. Not a huge investment and it works like a charm!

Christine George 05-03-2012 06:21 PM

Check out the Milwaukee Craigslist in the quilting category. There are two high end Viking machines for sale for around $1900 each. Those machines retailed for $5 - 6000. I know you'd end up paying the shipping (or you could come to Milwaukee for the weekend!) but for a starter machine it would be a score.

Dolphyngyrl 05-03-2012 06:51 PM

I'd go for the PE770 they always get good ratings, you can always trade in at a dealer later if and when you want to upgrade. Plus brothers are one of the most user friendly brands out there, great for a beginner, and from what I hear stitches as beautiful as some of the more expensive ones. But you do have to use a certain thread with it from what I have heard. I'm sure there are groups online who know all about the machine.

nabobw 05-04-2012 04:47 AM

If you really get into emb. just being able to do 5x7 is not going to satisfy you for very long.