Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   embroidery machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-machine-t214820.html)

linda701 02-25-2013 07:16 AM

embroidery machine

Been thinking of buying an embroidery machine that is inexpensive. I have a good sewing machine. Don't know how much I would use it. How many of you have one and what would be a good one to buy? Thanks in advance for all the input.

AliKat 02-25-2013 08:59 AM

If you are just beginning I would suggest:
- you set your budget
- look at all models available
- definitely get one with a USB port for downloading designs from the 'net
- decide if you really 'need' the bigger hoops or not
- look at those that are gently used and given in trade for fancier machines

That way you will know if you will use it enough to justify a bigger purchase later. Many of my quilting friends are quite happy with their old machines because they do what they want them to.

romanojg 02-25-2013 09:01 AM

I have Vikings and love them; just upgraded to their best Diamond Deluxe. My suggestion to you is to check out the dealers where you live. The machine is very important but so is the store you are dealing with. You'll want one where you can get classes and support. I vetoed on brand because the LQS here that sells them are some of the rudest people around; I wouldn't want to rely on them. My viking store is totally the opposite and I've never had a bad experience there and they are just nice people, great classes and lots of help. Our teacher is always listening to what we want to learn both with the software and the machine and incorporates that into our classes. They've even started classes in using the sewing part of the machine; not just the embroidery part. I love my machine and its very addicting. Good luck and happy hunting.

Just wanted to add; the hoop size is very important. If you only get a 4X4 hoop you'll be very limited and get bored really soon. My largest hoop is over 13 in; there is lots of options for my machine so look for not only what size hoop comes with it but if you can get any larger ones too.

Misty's Mom 02-25-2013 09:22 AM

I have a janome and love it and since they're coming out with a new embroidery machine march 1, maybe the others will go down in price.

GreatStarter 02-25-2013 10:51 AM

Depends on your budget. I have a Viking which is extremely expensive even when it's on sale. Look into the Brothers, I have seen people in classes I have taken with Brothers who are very happy with them. Make sure whatever machine you get you can easily buy single embroidery designs for off the internet. It will save you a small fortune to be able to buy just one design instead of a whole package. You have already received some great ideas in previous posts, consider them all.

Kat

TinkerQuilts 02-25-2013 12:22 PM

I have a Brother and highly recommend them! They have machines with a wide variety of options and prices. It's already been said tho, hoop size is important, and the USB port.

quilts4charity 02-25-2013 12:31 PM

I'm a Brother lover too....I believe they have the lowest prices and have embroidery only machines.

nvb50 02-25-2013 03:11 PM

I have the Viking Ruby. I love it. I had an old Singer embroidery machine (2005) I do not like that one.

Dolphyngyrl 02-25-2013 05:47 PM

Brotherlover here

snipforfun 02-25-2013 06:38 PM

Baby Lock here. Love my Ellageo Plus