Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-machine-t76248.html)

quilterj 11-13-2010 08:54 PM

Does anyone have the Brother SE-400 machine. Do you like it or do you wish you would have gotten something else. I seen that it had some good reviews from the walmart sight.
Or what about the disney one that Walmart used to have? I am not sure if they still carry that one now. Does that one do more than the disney things?

Connie in CO 11-13-2010 09:16 PM

What came with the machine,memory card?Something that you can download with,like a cord that connects from computer to machine?

LovinMySoldier 11-13-2010 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj
Does anyone have the Brother SE-400 machine. Do you like it or do you wish you would have gotten something else. I seen that it had some good reviews from the walmart sight.
Or what about the disney one that Walmart used to have? I am not sure if they still carry that one now. Does that one do more than the disney things?

Well about a couple of months ago I bought the Disney one. I bought it on craigslist. I was a little hesitant but I really wanted an embroidery machine and I couldn't afford much. Oh man did I make the right decision. I love it. It is so much fun. The hoop is only 4x4. But still ok. I have done almost every one of the designs that it came from. I did an Ispy quilt and added a bunch of sold squares that I embroidered on. It works great. I have had zero issues thus far. I did read that the thread cassette tends to break or not work alot. And this is a bit of an issue. I found that certain threads it has a harder time with because they are thicker maybe I guess. All regular thread I have used works fine. I have had issues with a couple embroidery threads. But a lot of the embroidery threads worked just fine. I do not have the embroidery card to download on to yet. That is on my christmas list. As far as using it for a sewing machine it works great. It has a very detailed instructions manual. And it even says how you can use the embroidery foot for quilting instead of a walking foot. It is a great little machine.
And yes it has like 25 other designs that aren't disney. And it has like 5 different fonts I think

watson's mom 11-13-2010 09:56 PM

You may get tired of a machine that only does 4" designs and will probably outgrow it soon. You may want to look into one that has a USB port to hook up to your computer. A reputable sewing machine dealer might have a good used one at a reasonable price and it is certainly worth looking into further. IMHO. As far as Brother machines go, I have the 8500D and it is very easy to use. I have never had a problem with it and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Leatheflea is right about the cards being expensive. Prices are brutal. After you decide which machine to get, you may want to look into Embird, a digitizing program that converts embroidery designs.

leatheflea 11-13-2010 09:59 PM

My girlfriend bought the disney machine and hates it. The cards for it are expensive. She has all kinds of tension problems when using the regular sewing. They are really limited as to what they can do. The way I see it, if your gonna spend $500 for the machine and then put 45 to $75 for each card, might as well get a better machine that you can hook to your computer and be able to download patterns. With the disney machine you cant even upgrade hoop sizes should you decide you want larger designs. Brother is a great company and has many machines I would shop around.

oatw13 11-14-2010 06:49 AM

I have the 270D and it suits me fine. The size is fine for me. I don't really care much for the look of the larger embroidered designs on many things. And, I have never once wished I could make a larger one.

I do have the box that connects to the computer and a blank card and it was a big investment. Now I can use any designs, even the free ones from the internet and I share designs with my mom.

I have many collections I bought off ebay. You used to be able to find cards on ebay, too. The prices were reasonable. I prefer to make my own designs. I use PE-Design. Again, another investment. But, I enjoy the process.

It also pieces a very accurate 1/4 inch seam. Better than my other machines.

I guess my best advice is to make a list of what you want the machine to do. Be brutally honest with yourself. Yes, some features sound wonderful. But, will you really use them? Do some serious research. Then wait until you find the machine you want at the price you want and can afford. You may have to wait awhile, but it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck :)

LindaR 11-14-2010 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier

Originally Posted by quilterj

Well about a couple of months ago I bought the Disney one. I bought it on craigslist. I was a little hesitant but I really wanted an embroidery machine and I couldn't afford much. Oh man did I make the right decision. I love it. It is so much fun. The hoop is only 4x4. But still ok. I have done almost every one of the designs that it came from. I did an Ispy quilt and added a bunch of sold squares that I embroidered on. It works great. I have had zero issues thus far. I did read that the thread cassette tends to break or not work alot. And this is a bit of an issue. I found that certain threads it has a harder time with because they are thicker maybe I guess. All regular thread I have used works fine. I have had issues with a couple embroidery threads. But a lot of the embroidery threads worked just fine. I do not have the embroidery card to download on to yet. That is on my christmas list. As far as using it for a sewing machine it works great. It has a very detailed instructions manual. And it even says how you can use the embroidery foot for quilting instead of a walking foot. It is a great little machine.
And yes it has like 25 other designs that aren't disney. And it has like 5 different fonts I think

the 270D was my first embroidery machine and I love the little thing...bought it on Overstock.com and got 2.95 shipping, can't beat that LOL It is the machine I take to retreats and classes and you can't beat it...My computer machine in a cabinet doesn't have thread cutter, auto needle down, and the serpentine stitch which I use all the time. I have a larger brother with a larger hoop but this is my favorite...

allie 11-14-2010 02:36 PM

i have the brother se350 and I love mine

Yarn or Fabric 11-14-2010 03:32 PM

I think as long as it doesn't take the thread cartridges and you can use regular spools and it has a usb for taking designs from your computer to the machine it should be fine. Walmart has a generous return policy ;)

I got bored with a 5x7 hoop quickly and had to have the next one up... I haven't used that big hoop yet! lol. Who knew?! Don't tell hubby since I bought and sold and sold and bought to get the one I have now lol but I wouldn't trade it for the anything (4500d)
If you are only going to do labels and monograms, the 4x4 hoop will be fine but if you want to do anything else - lace, tshirts, potholders, aprons, etc, that 4x4 design will look reallllly dinky on anything bigger than a baby bib....

Short an Sweet 11-14-2010 03:41 PM

Same here, I have used it to make support patches for a benefit we helped sponser and I used it to make a 12 days of Christmas table runner, I love it, sometimes I wish I could do larger designs, but thats ok. I do have the memory card and reader so I can download designs, I love designs by JUJU they are very well priced usually about $20 and if you buy one set they give you at least one or more free.

Originally Posted by allie
i have the brother se350 and I love mine