Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/embroidery-machines-lets-chat-have-fun-t32969.html)

mermaid 12-15-2012 01:53 PM

Jratcliff--I've offered suggestions already, I know. Seeing these photos I think your problem is definitely in the top threading--in the tension disks somewhere. Let me offer another suggestion..I have a Bro ULT D 2003..I LOVE it and it does a great job--BUT I am having a problem almost exactly like your pix show. It's too far for me to take it to my guru until it needs something else. So! Here's what I do. I thread up to the needle--then I raise the foot (It is already up)..I raise it as high as it will go and immediately let it down on the hooped project. Then I use the auto threader to put the thread thru the needle. As I get read to push the "go" button, I give a little tug to see if there's resistance on my thread end. Sometimes! I have to go thru the ''lift'' procedure again---or twice more. It's something in a tension disk (or brain) that is not cooperating. May I suggest that you experiment cking if there's resistance on the thread after it's thru the needle? If it is easily pulled thru after you have the foot down--then that's your problem & that, my dear, calls for medical help! Fingers crossed--good luck.

Jratcliff 12-16-2012 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid (Post 5722166)
As I get read to push the "go" button, I give a little tug to see if there's resistance on my thread end. Sometimes! I have to go thru the ''lift'' procedure again---or twice more. It's something in a tension disk (or brain) that is not cooperating. May I suggest that you experiment cking if there's resistance on the thread after it's thru the needle? If it is easily pulled thru after you have the foot down--then that's your problem & that, my dear, calls for medical help! Fingers crossed--good luck.

Great suggestion! Just tried it and I have quite strong resistance on the thread end. Whew!
I started on a applique in the hoop project yesterday. All straight stitching, bean stitch. Everything was going just great until the final motif. There is no applique fabric added to this part, just stitching, and sun-of-a-gun, it happened again. Only this time I was sitting right in front of the machine and could hear the change. This one actually shut the machine off. Fortunately, I was using a magnetic hoop so re-hooping was not an issue and I could go back to the spot and finish.
Anyway, when I checked there were only about 10 wraps around the bottom and the assembly. Took it out and moved on. Then the tension seemed way out of wack so stopped again to check everything. There was a tiny piece of thread on a metal piece just to the left of the bobbin. It's a non-moving piece, but never the less it seemed to make the tension wonky.
Just finished the piece so now I can finish the project.
I will try doing a thorough cleaning of everything before starting another.

mermaid 12-16-2012 10:39 AM

That's ''semi-great"-- haha I will say that I've had the thread tension go bad again while actually in the process. I stay near & when I 'suspect', I stop, lift the foot high & back down again...and continue on. But how do you fix a problem like I had this a.m.? Loaded up--started off-fabric pulled from side of hoop and bunched & big mess! MY FAULT..mind wandered and I forgot to tighten hoop screw!! We all have our mishaps.

Jratcliff 12-18-2012 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid (Post 5723715)
That's ''semi-great"-- haha I will say that I've had the thread tension go bad again while actually in the process. I stay near & when I 'suspect', I stop, lift the foot high & back down again...and continue on. But how do you fix a problem like I had this a.m.? Loaded up--started off-fabric pulled from side of hoop and bunched & big mess! MY FAULT..mind wandered and I forgot to tighten hoop screw!! We all have our mishaps.

I've had the same thing happen, but not from lack of screw tightening. It is when my threads get caught in the bobbin and the machine doesn't stop, or one time when the thread cutter didn't cut the threads and the hoop moved quite a distance.

To the birds nest, I was talking with a friend who said she had the same thing happen and always when she used Sulky thread. She changed to Madiera and it quit. Of course, Sulky is what I am using right now.
The other thing she said was, the person that sold her the machine said to use just a touch of lubricant on the needle from time to time and it would stop. He attributed it to sticky build up on the needle from going through the stabilizer. She also said she finally gave up after her third machine and went to a 6 thread model and it hasn't happened since.
I'm not ready to go that route. One reason is the cost, and the other is I'm not in this as a business - just for my own use and fun.

Jratcliff 12-19-2012 05:31 AM

snap hoop, magna hoop?

Does anyone here use the snap hoop? I got the large one to do quilting in the hoop and I really like it. At least I do now that I've been practicing with it. Re-hooping is so easy since the fabrics aren't being squished down into a hoop. One thing I have noticed, however is the fabric can't be pulled very taught and the magnets aren't strong enough to hold much thickness. Any hints or tricks from anyone? Also wondering if I might get a smaller one. Still undecided on that one! Jane

IBQLTN 12-19-2012 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jratcliff (Post 5727105)
I've had the same thing happen, but not from lack of screw tightening. It is when my threads get caught in the bobbin and the machine doesn't stop, or one time when the thread cutter didn't cut the threads and the hoop moved quite a distance.

To the birds nest, I was talking with a friend who said she had the same thing happen and always when she used Sulky thread. She changed to Madiera and it quit. Of course, Sulky is what I am using right now.
The other thing she said was, the person that sold her the machine said to use just a touch of lubricant on the needle from time to time and it would stop. He attributed it to sticky build up on the needle from going through the stabilizer. She also said she finally gave up after her third machine and went to a 6 thread model and it hasn't happened since.
I'm not ready to go that route. One reason is the cost, and the other is I'm not in this as a business - just for my own use and fun.

Without reading through the entire thread about the tension I don't know if anyone has offered this suggestion. I have sold Viking, Singer, Brother and Pfaff. I can tell you one thing that helps a lot is to close the lid to the top of the machine so that thread does not fly out of the uptake lever when it gets going really fast when the thread is in the horizontal position.

Hope this helps.

Jratcliff 12-20-2012 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN (Post 5728907)
Without reading through the entire thread about the tension I don't know if anyone has offered this suggestion. I have sold Viking, Singer, Brother and Pfaff. I can tell you one thing that helps a lot is to close the lid to the top of the machine so that thread does not fly out of the uptake lever when it gets going really fast when the thread is in the horizontal position.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the suggestion. My machine actually has a cover that comes down when the pressure foot is lowered. otherwise I would give it a try. I have actually made it through several small projects this week without the problem. Don't know why or how, but I'm not questioning it.

quiltnut4ever 12-20-2012 10:01 AM

Jratcliff,
I always leave my cover down. Ive noticed that since doing so the thread doesn't get caught or broken. However these machines do have a mind of their own! lol! Enjoy your machine!

Quilty-Louise 12-20-2012 11:42 AM

I seldom close the cover on my machine (where the spools are).
But I ALWAYS use thread nets on ANY spool of thread I use on
my machines.

I have found that the thread nets help "control" the unwind of
the thread as it is sewing or stitching embroidery.

Of course this is just what I have found works best for me.

A few years ago I was having issues with my thread (ALL thread
not just embroidery) was nesting in the bobbin area. What I found
was a SMALL mess of thread in the upper tension area. What I did
to remove that (without taking machine apart or in for repair) was
take a LONG length of 6 strand embroidery floss and "thread" it in
the machine without going threw the needle and pull it out from the
bottom I did this repeatedly until I was able to 1) work the "nesting"
of thread out or 2) able to get some LONG thin tweezers in enough
to grab the thread and pull it out (if you can see anything).

Now before I start ANY new sewing project I run the floss through
the machine just to "clear" and thread pieces that might be in there.

So far no more issues with nesting in any of my machines.

Quilty-Louise 12-22-2012 02:38 PM

Have you seen or tried these scissors (click on link below).

Last month I was at my local dealer where I go to get my
Floriani thread and such and I say these scissors in the discount
bin normally they was selling for $21, but they was marked down
to 75% off so I bought them.

I truly have to say I LOVE these little sidehopper scissors for snipping
the jump stitches.

Jump Stitch Scissors