Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-machines-t63810.html)

Retiredandquilting 09-09-2010 01:42 AM

This is probabaly a well-worn subject, but I am thinking about getting an embroidery machine. Can anyone give me some hints about which is my best choice? Embroidery only? Embroidery and sew? I currently have a Juke TL98Q and then a Kenmore that I use for satin stitch, button holes, and the like. I appreciate your input!
Sue - Retiredandquilting

ConnieF 09-09-2010 02:10 AM

Well am limited for space so the sewing machine /Embroidery machine is what I have. I have loads of fancy stitches and do piecing and quilting on the machines also.

They are Vikings. The oldes one is aorund 20 years old and stitches beatiful.... never been to a shop.
Many mpre miles on the one well over 20 years and just had a couple of adjustment whenit was new and never been back to shop. If you have more questions please PM...
ConnieF

mic-pa 09-09-2010 03:00 AM

Go to you local store where they specialize in sewing and emb. machines. Your dealer should be someone you can depend on to give lessons and answer any questions you have. Don't be talked into something you really don't want. Janome, Viking, and Brothers come to mind as quality machines. Some machines have a larger emb area with bigger designs. So investigate all possibilities. How much money you are willing to spend will also be a decision. Good Luck

Retiredandquilting 09-09-2010 03:09 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. I am just getting ready to move into a smaller house, where my sewing room will be smaller. Maybe I should trade my second machine, which has probably only been used 10 times, and get a sewing and embroidery machine. Thanks for that insight!

smtp5 09-09-2010 03:12 AM

I love my Babylock Ellegante2...they are having a no interest for 18months right now, and also Brother machine is having sales.

I have only had it 3wks, and 1 guide class, but it is easy to understand. If I can figure it out anyone can!

mardilee 09-09-2010 03:58 AM

I bought a Janome 11000SE and I love it. It is not as big as some of the Brother and Babylock machines. But it has a very large bed (is it called a harp?) I love that I can piece on the machine and then do fancy quilting patterns on the quilt. Sometimes I make embroidered blocks too. Right now I'm working on a Cub Scout quilt for my grandson. Cub Scouts are embroidered. FMQ around the scouts is done automatically by the machine. Centers of the pieced squares are a quilting pattern from the machine. These machines are expensive as are the supplies you need to embroider with, but it is so much fun! I love my machine! It's a terrific retirement hobby!

Yarn or Fabric 09-09-2010 04:37 AM

Budget is the biggest concern tbh.
When you add the sewing capability to a 5x7 hoop machine the price jumps considerably. If you want an even bigger hoop, like the 6x10 size, it skyrockets.

Brothers & Janomes are great machines. I started with a Janome 350e, traded up for a MB4 which I didn't like (lots of reasons), sold that and bought a Brother 4500d which I love, when I use it.

I would not suggest getting a machine with only a 4x4 field. You may say now that you don't want to do more than monogramming, but once you decide you want to make something bigger than that, you won't be able to. The resale value on the small 4x4 fields is low so I would totally skip the 4x4 machines...

About space... I have space issues as well. I bought a great Audio Visual heavy duty cart at a second hand store and that's what my embroidery machine sits on. It's great. I can wheel it wherever I need it and wheel it out of the way when I don't... :D

Joanie Owen 09-09-2010 07:28 AM

Have I a Viking Designer 1 that I love. Had the software in my computer which crashed. Now to get Embird or any other software to work in the new computer which is a 64 bit, I have to purchase special software to be able to see my designs of which I have 20,000 all backed up. I will be patient and hope they get a fix soon so I'll be able to get more of my designs on the floppys that go into the Embr. machine. I have 330 pages of pictures that match the 330 floppys so still have great use of designs. Love that Designer 1.

ruacajun2 09-09-2010 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by mardilee
I bought a Janome 11000SE and I love it. It is not as big as some of the Brother and Babylock machines. But it has a very large bed (is it called a harp?) I love that I can piece on the machine and then do fancy quilting patterns on the quilt. Sometimes I make embroidered blocks too. Right now I'm working on a Cub Scout quilt for my grandson. Cub Scouts are embroidered. FMQ around the scouts is done automatically by the machine. Centers of the pieced squares are a quilting pattern from the machine. These machines are expensive as are the supplies you need to embroider with, but it is so much fun! I love my machine! It's a terrific retirement hobby!

I got one of these too! I love it. I'm sad that I didn't bite the bullet several years ago when I bought two other Janome sewing machine and the 300E Embrodiery Machine and would have bought the big one then. I've also bought two upgrades for it already. But now the way I look at it today -- my daughter gets two machines and I have two machines. Now if I could just figure out how to get the big longarm quilting machine....... I would be set for life!!!!

:lol: :lol:

dreamboat 09-09-2010 10:52 AM

I have a Designer 2 and Rose 605 viking sewing and embroidery machines. Have not had any trouble with either one. Designer 2 6 yrs old and Rose 605 10 yrs old. You can check out some of my embroidery work on the Wall Hanging section of my webshots url below.