Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery Thread advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-thread-advice-t189851.html)

nabobw 05-24-2012 04:55 AM

rayon thread is not color fast.

pstrwife 05-24-2012 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieKT (Post 5239253)
I am getting my first embroidery machine and notice there are many brands of thread available. Can anyone provide pros and cons of various brands? I am planning to purchase a large multi-color set so this is a huge investment. I don't want to buy inferior thread and be stuck with multiple spools that I can't/won't use. Also, what is everyone's favorite needle size for everyday embroidery?

I started with a Singer about 10 years ago. I bought Robison-Anton thread because it was there at the store where I bought my machine. Never had any trouble. Traded it in for a Viking Ruby last year so I could have larger hoops. Still use the Robison-Anton thread with no trouble. Good luck. I know you will have so much fun because I know I do.

lonestardreams 05-24-2012 05:08 AM

I use Isacord and Floriani. I like them both. The Floriani seems to be a little brighter and I am replacing most of the Isacord with Floriani as I run out of a color.

There are so many to choose from- the dealer I buy from stocks these- I am familiar with them and like them.

It's true that some machines seem to like some thread better than others. I agree that your should try different brands and decide what you and your machine like.

Enjoy the embroidery.

WandaVA 05-24-2012 05:25 AM

When I bought my Janome 350E, the dealer recommended Madeira polyneon thread. She recommended against rayon, because it is not colorfast and could melt with a hot iron. I bought my thread from The Sewphisticated Stitcher because their prices were good, but also because I could choose my colors, rather than take whatever colors were in a set. If you buy 48 spools from them, you get a free case; I bought 144 spools, so I have 3 nice cases to store the thread. I have never had any problems whatsoever with the Madeira polyneon, but I would suggest that you ask your dealer what he/she recommends, because different machines may want different types of thread.

Have fun with your machine! I use mine on a regular basis, and am very happy with it.

SingerSewer 05-24-2012 06:10 AM

I like both rayon and the polyester. I use Madeira and Sulky. As stated earlier Jo-Ann's has Sulky on sale frequently for as much as 50% off! My machine has been picky but I am going to try changing needles and use some of the others I have that didn't work out well previously.

ShirlinAZ 05-24-2012 06:15 AM

I have several different brands of thread, and have used them all, sometimes intermixed in the same design. All manufacturers produce good and bad spools of thread, and I occasionally finish a project and throw one of the spools away because I fought shredding and breakage all the way. Other spools of the same type of thread by the same manufacturer work perfectly. Experiment until you find what you like, but don't be surprised if you sometimes throw away a nearly full spool.

I have bought thread sets from Amazon.com - I think they are Thread Art - and been generally happy with them. Starting with a set is a good idea (cheaper to buy in bulk) but you will eventually have to buy individual spools as you will use some colors faster than others.

Happy embroidering. I hope you enjoy your machine as much as I do mine.

mltquilt 05-24-2012 06:19 AM

I have always used Isacord for my Bernina machines and like it. I have also used some Robison-Anton and I have a large set that I bought from a dealer on Ebay. I do use polyester thread vs rayon because when I first started doing embroidery I was doing it on things for the GKs and needed it to be colorfast. Check with your dealer about what they recommend and try it out.

mltquilt

cmw0829 05-24-2012 06:50 AM

I agree with the recommendation to buy different brands and see what your machine likes. My Babylock loves Floriani, not so much Isacord. Then buy a color set after that if you want to.

I have to say - I received a 100 spool assortment when I purchased software and when I started my first set of designs, of the 40 or so unique colors I needed, I was only able to pull 8 from my assortment. Had it not been free (well...wasn't really free, was it :) ) I would have been a little upset. I ended up buying the needed colors at 30% off at my dealer so I was relatively OK with it.

JMHO.

Candace 05-24-2012 07:24 AM

Stay away from Rayon and stick with polyester. I won't buy Rayon anymore. It's a very weak thread and doesn't hold up to washing and abuse.

margee 05-24-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by davis2se (Post 5239350)
Hope that you will heed the great advice from the above posters and start small instead of buying in bulk initially and learning that you, or even more importantly in my opinion, your machine, doesn't like the thread. A while back I bought a large amount of beautiful thread from Metro Threads. It works really well with my Janome MC11000, but my Baby Lock Sophia doesn't like it a bit. She will only tolerate Robinson-Anton. That makes me really wish I personally knew the poster above who noted that she had thrown away all of her RA thread. Almost made me cry!!!

Ditto for me. I have always used Robinson-Anton in my Janome MC11000SE and never had a problem with it. I'm glad because I bought a lot of it. But, I tried small amts of different threads at first & decided I liked the RA the best.