Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery withdrawal (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-withdrawal-t225756.html)

Dolphyngyrl 07-13-2013 08:21 PM

Embroidery withdrawal

My baby is in the shop and I miss her. I know I can sew with my back up but I just feel like some embroidery.plus I want to use my muvit foot for a new project. Darn vinyl that jammed up my machine. Lesson learned when sewing vinyl covered cotton. On the bright side I got my road 2 ca class with patsy Thompson. Looking forward to it

Scraplady 07-13-2013 08:24 PM

I feel your pain! It's amazing how quickly I've forgotten all the little quirks of my old machine, which is now the backup. Is it appropriate to send get-well cards for your sewing machine? LOL. Hope it's up and running, or should I say "muving" again soon.

Cybrarian 07-13-2013 08:34 PM

Any words of wisdom or lessons learned you'd care to share about working with vinyl covered cotton? I think that is what I was admiring at LQS Friday. Heavier than the water resistant bright materials, longer lengths like 54 to 65" wide runs about $20-$25 per yard? They had some wonderful aprons and bags made up in it. Would appreciate any advice, do's & don'ts, and tips you'd care to pass along.

Dolphyngyrl 07-13-2013 08:56 PM

Well it sewed through the first seam fine with no problem. I was using a roller foot and a jeans needle. I think it's just inexperience with the fabric and operator error because my machine sews through 8 layers of jeans with ease so 2 layer of vinyl covered cotton should have been a breeze maybe my stitch length was too short because it started to sew than just jammed out of nowhere and the cutter would not function after that

snipforfun 07-13-2013 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 6176175)
My baby is in the shop and I miss her. I know I can sew with my back up but I just feel like some embroidery.plus I want to use my muvit foot for a new project. Darn vinyl that jammed up my machine. Lesson learned when sewing vinyl covered cotton. On the bright side I got my road 2 ca class with patsy Thompson. Looking forward to it

Never heard of a muvit few. I have a 6600

nabobw 07-14-2013 04:29 AM

I believe it is a walking foot

EllieGirl 07-14-2013 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun (Post 6176263)
Never heard of a muvit few. I have a 6600

Dolphyngirl and I have Dreamweavers and it comes with the muvit foot. It's used for multiple layers, like quilting, or heavy fabric. It's wonderful for SID and binding. I've had mine only a couple of months and am still learning.

Dolphyngirl, I am surprised it happened. I thought these machines were invincible!!

snipforfun 07-14-2013 06:30 AM

Somewhere sometime ao I vaguely remember hearing about when stitching on vinyl to place a strip of tissue paper over the seam line and stitch on that. I may be crazy but kinda makes sense??

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 6176197)
Well it sewed through the first seam fine with no problem. I was using a roller foot and a jeans needle. I think it's just inexperience with the fabric and operator error because my machine sews through 8 layers of jeans with ease so 2 layer of vinyl covered cotton should have been a breeze maybe my stitch length was too short because it started to sew than just jammed out of nowhere and the cutter would not function after that

mighty 07-14-2013 06:33 AM

Hope you get your machine back soon!

Dolphyngyrl 07-14-2013 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun (Post 6176715)
Somewhere sometime ao I vaguely remember hearing about when stitching on vinyl to place a strip of tissue paper over the seam line and stitch on that. I may be crazy but kinda makes sense??

I will have to try this when I get it back. I think since it was a fusible vinyl some of the stickiness from the fusible was stitcking to the foot which caused the jam. I am pretty sure it was not the machine. It sewed the first layer flawlessly. I have never worked with fusible vinyl before so it was my error