Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   EMPTY SPOOLS OF THREAD (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/empty-spools-thread-t102607.html)

cbuchanan 02-25-2011 09:34 AM

I use a lot of pearle cotton when making prayer quilts and those skeins can really get tangled when you start pulling them apart. So, when I have a new skein, while it's nice and tidy, I wrap them around an empty spool. Works great and saves a ton of time to untangle the thread.

Nanjun 02-25-2011 09:52 AM

Nephew made a corner whatnot shelf with old wooden spools and used dowels to hold them together.Thin plywood for shelves.

Iamquilter 02-25-2011 10:18 AM

Only save what I need , maybe about 4 or 5 to rewrapp quilting thread on when I have ladies in to quilt, so you don't have to be passing one spool around all the time.

wordpaintervs 02-25-2011 10:42 AM

wonderful for rolling bits of lace and trim etc around. Wish I had a few dozen. I do dolls for kids with cancer and have all this trim to organize, and it is hard the right trims some times in all the bags I've put it in.

If you decide you don't want them, please send them my way. giggle

seriously, just roll bias or whatever around the spools and secure with a short straight pin

Some people decorate or paint them and make 'spool doll' arms and legs using the different sizes.

good luck.

shoofly 02-25-2011 11:04 AM

Kitty toys!

SWChick 02-25-2011 11:28 AM

The serger spools make great angels. You can buy just a doll head or you can use a wooden ball that you have painted a face on. Cover the spool with a tightly gathered piece of fabric with the gather at the, attach head. Tie a ribbon around neck to cover gather, make or buy a pair of wings to attach on back. If you do a nice job you will find it on the top of the Christmas tree since the spool is hollow. I use feathers for wings. I just can't save enough spools for all those who want angels.

janb 02-25-2011 12:23 PM

They roll just right and the dog loves to go after them...later I find them under the couch or somewhere she has chased them...probably should just pitch them.

Blueyeswv 02-25-2011 01:15 PM

I buy cones of threads, then my husband winds the thread with a drill onto my empty spools. Get my thread for my money buying cones.Mary

Originally Posted by irma tapia
What do you do with your empty spools of thread? I have been collecting them for awhile and I really don't know what to do with them, any suggestions :?: :roll:

dinlauren 02-25-2011 01:21 PM

I'm a pre-kindergarten teacher so I save them just in case we might find a craft to use them for or an activity.

quevaca7 02-25-2011 01:55 PM

I got a boat load of wooden spools, when I got my grandmothers sewing stuff. And at the time I was looking for knobs for my laundry room/ sewing room cabinets. I spray painted them in colors to match and used them as my cabinets knobs.

Originally Posted by irma tapia
What do you do with your empty spools of thread? I have been collecting them for awhile and I really don't know what to do with them, any suggestions :?: :roll: