Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   English Paper Piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/english-paper-piecing-t159.html)

Anne T 11-28-2006 03:27 PM

:D :D . I have been quilting awhile and would like to know if anyone knows about English Paper Piecing? Have never tried it and am trying to get info., Anne T

Minda 11-28-2006 04:07 PM

I don't know how to do English paper piecing, but would also be interested in any information anyone can offer. Thanks.

Minda

Boo 11-28-2006 05:15 PM

English Paper Piecing is a method of sewing a single shape of blocks together, such as hexagons for a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. Many templates of a sturdy sort of paper are cut to the finished shape and size of the hexagon. Each hexagon is then basted to the paper template with the seam allowances wrapped to the back side. After enough of these are basted, the basted hexs are whipstitched together in the pattern. Once all the sides of the shape are secured to other pieces, the basting threads and the paper is removed to be reused on another block.

You can do a google search for English Paper Piecing if you would like more information.

Norah 11-29-2006 09:42 AM

I use the pull outs from magazines, those post card looking things that make it so hard to leaf through a magazine. You get a ton of those in every one. Grandmother's Flower Garden in the one I tried, as I got the pieces already cut out at a yard sale. The paper piecing sure made a difference in the symetry of the finished piece. I didn't realize you could reuse the paper. Thanks.

Boo 11-29-2006 10:18 AM

Norah, what a terrific tip! I have some hearts for English paper piecing that I sent for once, but I had no idea where to find that weight of paper. Those cards are the exact type of paper that come in those kits. You just saved us a bunch of money. Go treat yourself to a beverage and put in on my account. :lol:

Anne T 12-01-2006 03:08 PM

:D Thanks Nora for the quick respnse. I had gotten some individual patterns basted to paper with no instructions at an auction. Seems like nice handwork to take along.

Anne T

foxxigrani 12-05-2006 07:22 AM

I have been looking since this article came out for the instruction page I was sure I had book marked. I can't seem to find it. English paper piecing is something that is excellent to take along as hand sewing projects. I am making tumbling blocks out of just scrap pieces of fabric. There are no Y seams to content with so makes going together easy. I love it. I haven't gotten that many sewn together but I do have quite a few sewn to paper. The paper can be anything with some weight to it. The tip about those pesky inserts in magazines that fall out everywhere is great. Those are the perfect weight. Try it you will like it if you like hand work. I have not tried it by machine, but it seems to me it could be done. I will try it with a piece to see how it does. But I am sure it will still have to be basted onto card stock first or you will have to contend with Y seams. If I find the web site will post it. Sorry this is so long.

Rita

foxxigrani 12-05-2006 07:34 AM

Click here: InstantPiecing.com: English Paper Piecing Templates

Oh boy oh boy I hope this works out. I sat here this morning and it hit me where I had hidden the instructions, of course in the instruction section of my favorites, duh... :roll: How dumb can you get. Anyway hope this explains what we all were trying to say.

Rita

If not send me a message and I will try and send personally.

Boo 12-05-2006 07:48 AM

Rita, to share that link with us, you actually have to go there to do a copy paste of the site. I have tried to type that into my address bar and it comes back as an error. What you have given is a shortcut without link. Does that make sense?

foxxigrani 12-05-2006 11:05 AM

http://www.instantpiecing.com/articles/article.php?article_id=15

Ok try this maybe.. I sure don't know how to do this so hoping this will work.

Rita