Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Enlarging a Quilt Pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/enlarging-quilt-pattern-t160529.html)

paragon 10-15-2011 04:03 AM

I got a David Textiles pattern at Walmart, Native Hues, and the finished pattern size is 56" X 56" but I need it to be at least 83" X 96" finished.

I am sure their are many experienced quilters out there that have done this often. I would really appreciate your advise.

Thanks.....

MTS 10-15-2011 04:09 AM

http://www.davidtextilesinc.com/uplo...e%20Hues--.pdf

Nice pattern.

Do you want to make the whole quilt larger by adding more blocks, or do you want to enlarge the size of the blocks, thereby changing the proportions?

Different looks. Your choice.

The blocks are essentially 6" FINISHED nine-patches, with 2" FINISHED sashing.
So if you choose to enlarge the blocks, you would/should keep those proportions.

QuiltnNan 10-15-2011 04:39 AM

80x96 with 9 rows and 11 columns of the blocks in the pattern or
88x96 with 10 and 11.
this would be easier than trying to resize you blocks.

or you could add 1- 4" border with 8x10 rows/columns and get a quilt 80x96

hope that helps

SUZAG 10-15-2011 05:39 AM

pretty, I saved it!

Glassquilt 10-15-2011 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
80x96 with 9 rows and 11 columns of the blocks in the pattern or
88x96 with 10 and 11.

Which gives you either 99 or 110 blocks. Original size uses 36 blocks. 36x3=108
Increasing your required fabric for the blocks by about a factor of 3. Be sure to start with enough fabric.
I started a queen sized quilt only to have the recipient buy a king sized bed one week later - doubling the size needed. Luckily the LQS still had some of the fabric that I was able to get enough.

qbquilts 10-15-2011 06:47 AM

Right now the center is 6 x 6 blocks. To keep the same look, both dimensions need to be even, but since you don't want a square quilt, they won't be the same.

The math geek in me and my process:
6x+2(x-1) = width of center. Simplified: 8x - 2 = width of center.
6y +2(y-1) = length of center. Simplified: 8y - 2 = length of center.

The border is currently 5" finished. I'd go up to about 10" if needed.

So to get to about 83" x 96", I do this formula:
8y - 2 + 2b = 96" (length of quilt) (y = # of blocks down, b = total border width)
8x - 2 + 2b = 83" (width of quilt) (x = # of blocks across, b = total border width, assuming same horizontal and vertical border width)
Subtract the two and you get: 8y - 8x = 13"
y - x = 1.625 = equals # of blocks more down than wide. Round up to 2.

So using a 10" border, we get:
8y - 2 + 20 = 96
8y +18 = 96
8y = 78
y = 78/8 or 9.75 blocks down. Round up to 10 blocks. Since we know from the previous formula that we need 2 more blocks down than across, so we need 8 across.

So instead of doing a 6 x 6 layout, we will be doing an 8 x 10 layout.

Now lets calculate the size of the quilt and make sure it meets your needs:
8 * 8 - 2 + 20 = 82"
8 * 10 - 2 + 20 = 98"

82" x 98" is pretty close to 83" x 96". If you absolutely need it to be 83", then increase the border by 1/2" so that you have a 83" x 99" quilt top.

8 x 10 blocks = 80 blocks versus the 36 blocks that you originally needed, so make sure to get more yardage for the blocks AND for the sashing. Of course, you also need to increase the yardage for the borders in both width and length.

Since the original pattern calls for two borders - 1" finished and 4" finished, you can add a 3rd border to get to the 10 1/2" you want. Maybe try a 1", 2", and 7 1/2" or some other similar method.

This works better than the 9 blocks x 11 blocks that someone suggested because it keeps the same layout pattern as the original quilt.

(just a side note ... this is how I use math in everyday life!)

paragon 10-16-2011 12:27 AM

Many thanks to all of you that helped me with enlarging the quilt top. I really like the pattern and the fabric so now all I have to do is get busy

mamacool 10-16-2011 12:28 PM

in the past ten years I've had so much radiation and chemo that it has left me with permanent chemo brain and I don't always see that well. So here's what I do for ALL my quilt patterns. I draw out the whole block on graph paper usually 4 sq. = 1 in. This makes it big enough that I can see it. I use colored pencil to match the colors I want to use and then I color it all in. Once this is done, I draw the same block using 1 sq=1 in and draw out each block, leaving one sq between each block. I draw the original pattern then add blocks where I want it enlarged. Make sure you color these blocks also. When it's done I stand back and look at it as a whole and make any changes I want. I use this method when I want to change a pattern also. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to designs on being even top to bottom and left to right. Graph paper is cheaper than the "quilters" graph paper. Either way I end up having to tape pieces together.