Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Entering a Quilt question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/entering-quilt-question-t180997.html)

cizzors 02-28-2012 07:01 AM

Entering a Quilt question

I'll be entering a quilt in our October show this year and was wondering if washing it first is a no-no. It will have a lot of white in it and I don't trust that it will be spotless. I personally like the crinkled look but suppose I could iron it before hand. Thanks, Karen

sahm4605 02-28-2012 07:05 AM

will watch this for sure

Hinterland 02-28-2012 07:07 AM

If I'm entering a show, I usually wash my quilts in cold water, then block them while they're damp. That way they hang straight(er) in the show. Washing helps the batting to puff up a bit and removes any marking lines. The quilts don't crinkle unless they go in the dryer.

Janet

Buckeye Rose 02-28-2012 07:39 AM

is the crinkly look a no-no for a quilt show?

cizzors 02-28-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 5015845)

This is what I'm curious about.

Hinterland 02-28-2012 08:22 AM

To be honest, I don't know if crinklies are a no-no or not. I like how my quilts look when they come off the frame, so it's not an issue for me - crinkles hide the hand quilting design.

Being clean and hanging relatively flat and straight do seem to be important, and if you can accomplish this by washing, then it's a good thing to do. I find that quilts that I wash and dry tend to uncrinkle themselves over time, anyway.

Janet

ShowMama 02-28-2012 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 5015845)

I have served as a scribe to judges several times at my guild's quilt shows and most of them don't want the "crinkly" look. One even told me she expects quilts entered in shows to hang straight and smooth "like a sheet of paper". Of course much of that depends on basic construction, but sometimes washing a quilt will make it draw up. I wouldn't wash it before the show if you don't have to unless you find dirty areas or something. If you feel you must wash it, be sure and block it as Hinterland suggested to try and get it as smooth as possible.

Holice 02-28-2012 02:49 PM

If it is a judged show then the appearance is important. That is no soil, pet hair or smell. So if washing will assure this then wash it. I don't know about "judges don't like the crinkled look" This is a personal preference on the part of the judge and not a universal requirement. The statement "I don't like" should not be part of the judges comments either expressed aloud in the judging room or written..

QuiltE 02-28-2012 03:40 PM

You need to find out the "rules" of the quilt show.

Here, your quilt would not allowed to be entered if it had been washed.

penski 02-28-2012 05:21 PM

to enter a quilt in our State fair that is a requirement that it be washed and clean