Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   EQ6 - pros and cons? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eq6-pros-cons-t24715.html)

LindaM 09-03-2009 06:22 PM

Started with EQ5, now using EQ6. Pretty much every quilt I put together has been previewed and tweaked in EQ.

The EQ site has monthly downloads of new fabric collections, lots of lessons, mystery quilts (learn as you go) and lots of ways to learn new ways to use the software.

You can scan fabric and add it that way, and many of the manufacturers have graphics that you can download and import into EQ.

I've loved it, am enjoying still learning with it. Interesting thing I found, I look at quilts differently now - as in, I'll bet that complex block breaks down into something I can figure out and play with in EQ :)

Bonus feature - you can export designs (blocks, quilts) as graphic files.

schwanton 09-05-2009 06:36 PM

I have EQ6 and have been using it for almost 2 years. I don't know everything in the program. I tried to read the manual and do the tutorials, but was too excited to wait. I have made 5 quilts that I designed. The piecing is more accurate than when I play around with graph paper. I have scanned fabrics and love the ability to see the actual fabrics in place. And printing out the patterns is such a treat, rather than tracing. I also have about 20 quilt ideas made and saved in the program. Know that you won't learn everything at once, but there is so much you can use without alot of training. It was a gift to myself and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

tonip 09-06-2009 11:44 AM

Does anyone have PCQuilt? I started looking at software last winter but before I bought anything summer arrived. I wanted to be able to use my own fabrics. And I didn't want to pay $150! Now fall is aproaching and I am thinking about software again. I won't be making as many quilts this winter because it is finally going to be The Great Kitchen Remodel sometime after January.

pflum1 09-06-2009 02:03 PM

Why don't you look on "Sew Its for sale" site and see if you can find a good EQ 6 for about 1/2 to 1/4 off. Just be sure to ask how many time they have installed it. Then agree to take it, but ask for the person name & number so you can check with EQ. They will let you know how many times it's been installed. Also, if you can get one really cheap and it only has 1 installation left, you can pay $40 @and get more installments. If you put it on only one computer and it goes down, you can reinstall it and it doesn't count as an installation.

tonip 09-06-2009 02:23 PM

Where is that group? Searching yahoo groups gets no group by that name. I then tried "Sew It's for sale" and got nothing. One group I belonged to at one time has stopped taking software for sale ads because of copyright.
Can I scan in my own fabrics with EQ 6?

tonip 09-06-2009 02:45 PM

I did fnd that group after all. Thanks. I'm waiting to be approved.

pflum1 09-07-2009 06:21 AM

[email protected]
This is the url for a place to sell and purchases sewing supplies like EQ 5 or EQ6. A few weeks ago, I saw the EQ5 on this site for $50. but I'm not sure it had any additional books. When the books are included it is a little higher, near the $100 mark. Plus, you can always make an offer if you really want it and they want to get rid of it.
Regarding scan fabric with the EQ6, yes you can scan your fabric in, but it does take a little time. They also have updates on fabric about once I month, at least I think it's that often, maybe longer.

tonip 09-07-2009 06:50 AM

After reading their rules about software, I doubt I will buy there even if something comes up. and the transfer of software might be a problem activating it. I think I will just spend the 50 bucks on PCQuilt. I've read what it will do and for my needs, that's enough. I won't need it for every quilt but sometimes I'm just blank depending on whether it's a "want to" quilt or a "have to" quilt. My next "have to" is a baby quilt. Not inspired. Have three fabrics. Two prints and a solid. I did one similar last year using two prints and two solids. I didn't like it much.

hokieappmom 09-08-2009 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by tonip
Where is that group? Searching yahoo groups gets no group by that name. I then tried "Sew It's for sale" and got nothing. One group I belonged to at one time has stopped taking software for sale ads because of copyright.
Can I scan in my own fabrics with EQ 6?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SewItsForSale