Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   EQ7 - a couple questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eq7-couple-questions-t220878.html)

jkwynn 05-06-2013 12:54 PM

EQ7 - a couple questions

I went through a couple of threads on EQ7 and didn't see this question answered, so thought I'd ask it before I order it for myself for Mother's Day.

Does it have foundation paper-pieced blocks in the block library, and if it does, can you tell it to scale them down and print them out for templates?

I scaled down a 12" block to a 10" block manually, using my scanner/printer, and the block was still "off" - I'm thinking it was due to it scaling down the seam allowances, but me still using 1/4" seams? I don't know, it was just wonky looking proportionally. Maybe EQ7 can fix that?

Also, anyone know of any discount codes or sales right now? I'm seeing it on amazon (I have Prime so it'd be free shipping) for 189.95.

Thanks in advance! So excited!!

QuiltnNan 05-06-2013 01:01 PM

i use EQ5, but, yes, some designs lend themselves to pp'ing. if you want it to your scale, you can manually change the size when you print/preview, or you can check the box that says to size from quilt. i'm sure it's the same in EQ7

enjoy your EQ journey

auntpiggylpn 05-06-2013 01:10 PM

I have Eq 7 and it gives you the option to print block patterns into paper pieced blocks. You can print the blocks pretty much the size that you want it. If you have a specific block that you want done, PM me and I would be happy to do t for you! It is about the only thing I have figured out to do in EQ7!!! I received it as a gift so I'm not out any money but I personally wouldn't buy it now knowing how it isn't easy and quick to learn.

BellaBoo 05-06-2013 01:24 PM

The more I use EQ the more I learn. If you only use it every now and then it will be hard to remember how all the features work. Start with chapter one and follow the steps. Like any new tool it takes practice to master it. I am constantly discovering new things this program will do.

Nammie to 7 05-06-2013 02:13 PM

Learning EQ7 is next on the list of what I need to learn. Finally got it loaded on the new computer, now I need to get the book spiral bound and print off the lessons - as soon as I hook up the new printer!

Peckish 05-06-2013 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by jkwynn (Post 6048432)
Does it have foundation paper-pieced blocks in the block library, and if it does, can you tell it to scale them down and print them out for templates?

Yes and yes. Make sure you are on the block worktable (not the quilt worktable), then click File, Print Foundation. It will bring up a box. Pick the tab (at the top) that says "Options" and enter the FINISHED block size. This is the size you want the block to be once it's sewn into the quilt. You will need to have a basic understanding of how paper piecing works, because while EQ can help you number the pieces, it doesn't always pick the easiest way.

jkwynn 05-06-2013 04:58 PM

Thank you so much!!

I can't wait to get it and fiddle around. I used to have EQ5 a looong time ago, but never really quilted much then. Just "wanted" to quilt - but now I'm actually doing it and think this would be so helpful.

khuxford 05-06-2013 06:56 PM

I received a copy of Blockbase last Christmas. I believe the EQ folks developed that product. It has hundreds of public domain blocks. Getting a copy of EQ is on the wish list. I see function in Blockbase that allows you to import the blocks into EQ. BB will let you print off paper piecing patterns. I do a lot of paper piecing and the Blockbase patterns have been great.

lfty298 05-06-2013 07:26 PM

Hi JK
Re price - check quiltinaday.com - they have it for 142.46 with free shipping. I can't speak to EQ7 paper piecing function, but I do use the program frequently. Using the tutorials will give you a good start. I did not print them out as they suggested - just used them right from the screen. It is user friendly enough for me to figure out what I want to use it for, so for me it was a good investment.
Lefty

eparys 05-07-2013 04:44 AM

Also ... EQ allows you to "renumber" and/or "regroup" the pieces in the PP printout to your liking. I LOVE EQ and use it all the time for designing and piecing. I am currently doing a BOM that requires "purchased templates". I just put the block in EQ and print out my own templates.

Here is a site you may want to look at. I have purchased from her on and off but she is now closing her store. Her price on EQ (do not know is she still has any however) is really good. You need to "add to cart" to see the sale price.

http://www.sewezdesigns.com/Notions.html