Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   EQ7 and New York Beauty/Kaleidoscope (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eq7-new-york-beauty-kaleidoscope-t280315.html)

TeresaA 07-10-2016 08:48 AM

EQ7 and New York Beauty/Kaleidoscope

I'm considering getting EQ7. My question is, does it contain New York Beauty blocks, or blocks that can be modified into New York Beauties, without having to buy an add-on?

Also, does it have kaleidoscope blocks? or again, capacity to easily design them (in the Paula Nadelstern style).

Thanks!

Peckish 07-10-2016 01:52 PM

A quick search of the block library yielded 2 NYB blocks and 4 kaleidoscope blocks. And yes, you can easily alter, modify, and design your own.

There are over 1000 blocks and block variations built into EQ7. There are a few add-ons available to purchase, but EQ was designed very well to stand on its own.

TeresaA 07-10-2016 02:01 PM

Thank you, Peggi!

roguequilter 07-10-2016 03:48 PM

it also ties in with brackmans blockbase block library. i haven't found duplications except for common blocks.

TeresaA 07-10-2016 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by roguequilter (Post 7598814)
it also ties in with brackmans blockbase block library. i haven't found duplications except for common blocks.

I have the original Blockbase. I'm hoping some of the files might still be importable. You neeeever know ;-). I need to fire up a computer with a 3.5" floppy drive and see what gets installed ;-).

Barb in Louisiana 07-10-2016 06:56 PM

In my EQ7, in the Libraries, go to 03 Foundation Piecing and there is a category "New York Beauties". There are 25 different NY Beauties blocks. Some of them are border spikey blocks.

quiltingshorttimer 07-10-2016 08:11 PM

TeresaA, I'd recommend also getting the books from EQ that have lessons on designing the blocks and one on designing the quilt (and if you like to applique, that one too) as they really walk you though how to use more than just the provided libraries, even though they are very complete.

ManiacQuilter2 07-11-2016 04:57 AM

I found 18 NY beauties blocks under PPing. Found 6 standard kaleidoscope blocks and two that were a bit different.

TeresaA 07-11-2016 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 7599033)
TeresaA, I'd recommend also getting the books from EQ that have lessons on designing the blocks and one on designing the quilt (and if you like to applique, that one too) as they really walk you though how to use more than just the provided libraries, even though they are very complete.

I have a computer programming background and loads of time spent in Photoshop and sometimes Adobe Illustrator. Although, I've heard many times about this not being enough for EQ, with any luck I can learn on my own. If I can't then, thanks to you, I'll know where to go.

Peckish 07-11-2016 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaA (Post 7599307)
I've heard many times about this not being enough for EQ.

It's all very subjective. Everybody is different and has different strengths and learning styles. Don't assume it will be difficult for you simply because someone else struggled! :thumbup: