Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   EQ7 and Tumblers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eq7-tumblers-t215328.html)

Merry7110 03-03-2013 05:19 AM

EQ7 and Tumblers

I make a lot of Tumbler quilts for family and babies and I would like to be able design a tumbler quilit in EQ7 to test out different fabric combinations. Does anyone know how I can make a tumbler block...since it isn't square...add it to my library of blocks...and then design a quilt using just tumblers?

Thanks so much ahead of time for the help I get from this wonderful board. I learn so much just from reading your posts.

QuiltnNan 03-03-2013 06:29 AM

hmmmm... i don't find tumblers in the layout library. my best suggestion is to contact EQ. however on the website, contact is for technical support. on the blog site, you can send an email. http://doyoueq.com/blog/email-us/

Emma S 03-03-2013 06:44 AM

Merry: Have tried to fiqure out how to do irregular pieces when their not in the library. No luck. Will be watching this thread for answers. Thank you for asking the question.

kaelynangelfoot 03-03-2013 06:58 AM

Start a new project and switch to the quilt screen

on the "Quilt" drop down menu select "New Quilt" --> "One patch quilt"

The layout tab of "one patch quilt" will let you change the Patch Style in the pop-up box to anything from hexagons, diamonds, tumblers, etc as well as control height and width of the patch.

Switching to the layer 1 tab will let you experiment with colorings.

Hope that helps!

kristakz 03-03-2013 07:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ETA: Nevermind what I said below. Look at the reply above this for the answer

The best I have been able to do is find the "square repeat" in the pattern, and then draw that as a block. Gives a lot of extra seams, and colouring the quilt takes some concentration, but at least you can see what it is going to look like. I did this with a

To try to be more clear - look at a row of your tumbler blocks. Now, take 2 tumblers side by side, and draw a vertical line through the center of these 2 tumblers. Now you have a square, with a slanted line down the middle (the division between 2 tumblers). If you lay 2 of these squares side by side (I guess you have to flip the second one), you get a full tumbler block in the middle (with a seam down the center) and a half-block on each edge. It's not perfect, but the best I've ever been able to figure out with EQ. It's not too friendly for non-square blocks. Baby blocks/lone star are my other nemesis, although I have mastered that one now.

Here's a pic - I've outlined the "block" you can draw in EQ. It seems the block is a rectangle, not a square - but I think EQ handles that OK.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]399430[/ATTACH]

kristakz 03-03-2013 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot (Post 5900694)

The layout tab of "one patch quilt" will let you change the Patch Style in the pop-up box to anything from hexagons, diamonds, tumblers, etc as well as control height and width of the patch.

Hope that helps!

OMG Kaelyn, I love you!! I've had EQ for years, and never figured this out. I'm heading off to design some quilts I've had in mind for ages!

AlienQuilter 03-03-2013 07:21 AM

I have had EQ7 for a while now and still am in need of some serious training!

Thanks for this thread - will try this also. I'm always learning something new from this forum.

Emma S 03-03-2013 07:29 AM

Kaelyn: Thank you so much! Never would have figured this out.
Krista: Your solution has applications when trying to fiqure a pattern. Thank you.
I'll say it again, "This Board is just amazing!"

mighty 03-03-2013 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot (Post 5900694)

Hope that helps!

Thank you, thank you , thank you!!!!!!!

QuiltnNan 03-03-2013 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 5900726)
OMG Kaelyn, I love you!! I've had EQ for years, and never figured this out. I'm heading off to design some quilts I've had in mind for ages!

ditto from me. i'd thought it strange that it wasn't there somewhere !!