Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Was EQ7 a waste? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eq7-waste-t85576.html)

Rachelcb80 12-27-2010 03:33 PM

I asked for EQ7 for Christmas and my DH bought it for me. I've been playing with it since Saturday but I'm either missing several of it's features, or I over estimated all it could do.

I have a quilt made up right now in it. I'm wanting to print off cutting instructions for the quilt but I can only figure out how to print off rotary instructions for the individual block. This quilt contains sashing and setting triangles, but I can't see where I could print off any of the rotary measurements for those.

I'm thinking this is a case of just not knowing the program well enough yet. At least that's what I'm hoping. Those of you who have had EQ for awhile, how did you go about learning the program. I've watched the videos it contains but they really just touch on the basics. I guess I should read the manual but that thing is 270 pages!

ann clare 12-27-2010 03:36 PM

Go to the EQ website and type in your query.

Rachelcb80 12-27-2010 03:39 PM

Well I read the manual and low and behold, I figured out how to do what I was wondering about. Go figure, huh? :P

Ann Clare, thanks for the idea about going to the website. I really hadn't thought about trying there for info.

tellabella 12-27-2010 03:43 PM

I have EQ7 also...have had it since it was first released and it was my very first EQ program...I will take a lesson and do stuff on it...until I get tired, confused, or it becomes too much to take in at once...I am pretty good at getting through the lesson but if I leave it for a few weeks and go back to it, I can't remember how to do it..but it takes practice and I am not giving up on it...since I don't have tons of time, that's just the way it is..
But, there is lots there...what were you hoping to do that it doesn't do? If you go to Quilt University...they offer online classes in EQ7...maybe that would be a good idea...

I was trying to use the paper piecing lesson and it was ok but there was one part I couldn't figure out...the part about giving all the pieces a number and it just wasn't working for me...I thought it was cool that you can take a block and convert it to paper piecing....

quiltsRfun 12-27-2010 03:44 PM

There's lots to learn with that program. Don't give up. I love mine.

littlehud 12-27-2010 04:27 PM

I have EQ6 and am still learning things about it.

thepolyparrot 12-27-2010 04:42 PM

No, don't give up - it's been a difficult program to learn and I can usually figure out any program you put in front of me.

To me, EQ seems to have a b-i-g learning curve and it doesn't seem at all intuitive. Some people have no trouble with it at all, but I'm not one of them! LOL!

But, I really LOVE some of the things that the program does for me, so I will keep using it and trying to get good with it. The advantages way outweigh the difficulties.

Boscobd 12-27-2010 08:03 PM

Don't give up - EQ7 is really great. I've had mine since May and am still learning new tricks and features.

Annya 12-28-2010 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I asked for EQ7 for Christmas and my DH bought it for me. I've been playing with it since Saturday but I'm either missing several of it's features, or I over estimated all it could do.

I have a quilt made up right now in it. I'm wanting to print off cutting instructions for the quilt but I can only figure out how to print off rotary instructions for the individual block. This quilt contains sashing and setting triangles, but I can't see where I could print off any of the rotary measurements for those.

I'm thinking this is a case of just not knowing the program well enough yet. At least that's what I'm hoping. Those of you who have had EQ for awhile, how did you go about learning the program. I've watched the videos it contains but they really just touch on the basics. I guess I should read the manual but that thing is 270 pages!

Go to the help button on the top it does help to see All the videos too. Just practice and go into every topic and see what it says. I print mine off all the time.

AnnieH 12-28-2010 12:59 AM

I 'googled' it and my DH got interested (he's a computer techie), so you never know!
Annie