Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is EQ7 worth the price? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eq7-worth-price-t59523.html)

Dee Dee 08-15-2010 01:21 PM

I am interested in purchasing EQ7. Is it worth $189? What do you do with it? Can you look at a pattern elsewhere and design your own with the software? Are there enough sample fabric pictures to get a really good idea of what a finished quilt will look like using similar fabrics? Do you absolutely love it, or just okay?

Where is the lowest price for it?

Moonpi 08-15-2010 01:35 PM

I got a pre-release price of $97, but have not seen it that cheap since. There are lots of fabrics, and new sets added to download at their site. I did not use earlier versions, so it is taking me a while to learn my way around, but I have been able to build blocks and design quilts on it. The library of blocks that comes with it is impressive. There are video tutorials that teach you how to navigate and get familiar with the basics.

kristen0112 08-15-2010 01:37 PM

I don't know but I am interested in getting this too. So, I will be reading the answers you get too. :-)

BellaBoo 08-15-2010 01:49 PM

EQ7 is a very advanced quilting design program and a beginner program all in one. I have not bought a quilt pattern since I learned to draft and edit quilt blocks using EQ. I buy quilt books or patterns for the method of construction but not for the design and only then if I can't find a tutorial or how to on line. It takes time to learn how to use all the features but once you do it's simple to use. Lots of videos to watch how to do all applications of EQ.

oksewglad 08-15-2010 01:54 PM

I have had EQ for about a month and wow what that program can do! I found it user friendly, but do have some experience is desktop publishing. I am struggling with the Custom quilt section.
Just designed a "Harley" quilt using a specific number of precut squares. Was frustsrated trying to do a custom quilt and took out the old graph paper and calculator to figure how different size blocks would fit together. Then got a brainstorm and was able to put it in EQ. I was impressed with how quick that took and that I could tweak color placements etc.
With this quilt I learned how to import (scan) fabrics into the library. I did enough of the tutorials to get me started, and when I'm stumped I go to the help section or the manual which are very good.
Is it worth it? For me yes! and I did not get the preorder price with an older version.

dream56 08-15-2010 02:48 PM

You can actually scan in your own fabrics or download pictures of fabrics for sale to see how the quilt will really look like. It is not hard to design your own blocks on it. I like the fact that you can rotate blocks once they are colored to select the way you want the quilt to look like. It also allows you to print off the fabric amounts needed and paper templates you will use. Personally I love it and I never had any of the other versions.
Yes I feel it is worth it.

oneygirl 08-15-2010 03:20 PM

I paid $137 for mine at a local quilt shop when it was just released. I still need to learn how to use it.

thimblebug6000 08-15-2010 03:37 PM

I still have EQ5 and struggling to spend enough time to learn it thoroughly. If you have the time & the will/won't/power to sit & learn EQ7 inside & out I'm sure you would find it more than worth it's price.

BRenea 08-15-2010 04:24 PM

It's absolutely worth the price! I have been using EQ since version 3, and I always make sure to get the newest version. Make a point of going through the tutorials in the user manual, with a little experience you can design whatever you want! The only thing EQ doesn't do is tell you how to construct the quilt, that's up to you. ;-)

lilpoohbearie 08-15-2010 07:05 PM

I would suggest starting on an earlier version before you jump right in. I have EQ5 off of ebay. I have had a rough time and would be upset if I had paid the 189$ for $35 I can play around and if I really like it then I can save for the upgrade!!