Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ergonomic hand quilting?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ergonomic-hand-quilting-t148003.html)

Kristin in ME 08-26-2011 06:24 AM

I find that I hunch over a lot when I use a lap hoop. I decided to get a floor hoop, hoping that would help my posture, and wanting to be able to leave my project set up. This week I scored a second-hand floor hoop for a good price (yay!) and have been quilting away with it. Now I'm realizing that though my back is straight, I'm leaning forward a lot. Also, my arm is raised up and I'm starting to feel it in my shoulder and the side of my neck. I've been trying different angles and heights but the quilting on this quilt is very curvy so I'm moving it a lot, so haven't really been able to stick with a height/angle combination long enough to see if it helps.

There's got to be a good way to use this thing, that isn't going to send me to the chiropractor. Advice, please?

irishrose 08-26-2011 06:26 AM

I don't hand quilt, but I'm thinking raising the height of your chair might help.

Hinterland 08-26-2011 06:32 AM

I like to be able to scootch in closely, mostly because I can't see what I'm doing unless I'm close to the quilt top. If you can't adjust the height of the hoop, maybe a different chair would help?

Janet

erstan947 08-26-2011 06:32 AM

I have found what works for me as a small hoop..14 inch round made out of light weight wood and I put the quilt and hoop on a card table. I use my adjustable office type chair that I can adjust just right. The weight is taken off my arms and shoulders. I have tried so many combinations to find what works for me. Also I do not quilt for very long at a time. I take a few stitches and check the QB then do a few stitches. It is not fast but I'm not hurting:)

granny_59 08-26-2011 06:41 AM

I have a grace floor hoop where you also can ajust the height and it took me a while till I had it in a comfortable position.

I slip with the chair under it and can rest my arm on the frame. What helped me alot was the advice to learn handquilting in all directions right from the beginning. So hardly any turning no matter what pattern.

My only problem left is my jaw and my tongue: I cant help but making the rocking movment of the needle with them too :oops: :oops:
Granny

Kristin in ME 08-26-2011 06:46 AM

The height is adjustable on it, and I have tried different chairs. The problem is that I can't see what I'm doing well enough if it's too far away. I don't think this stand is quite sturdy enough to rest my arm on.

I'm working on learning to quilt in all directions- I can do left to right (I'm left handed) and towards myself fine, I do ok with away from myself but it is a little difficult for me, and can't quilt from right to left at all. Can't even figure out how you do that! lol

dakotamaid 08-26-2011 07:01 AM

I pin well and quilt in my lap without a hoop. It allows me to quilt in all directions without a problem and I can just sit back in my favorite chair and quilt away.

I realize this not for everyone but works for me and saves my back. Also allows me to take my work in the RV, I just "float" the bulk of the quilt sandwich in a garbage bag to keep it clean. :)

NJ Quilter 08-26-2011 08:01 AM

I use a lap hoop sitting in my favorite recliner. Lean back one notch. It's in my lap and I can scritch around as my stress level dictates and be comfortable. I don't think I could sit straight and quilt for a long period of time. I can quiltn for hours with a lap hoop - or hoopless - and not be uncomfortable.

Vanuatu Jill 08-26-2011 08:49 AM

I am currently quilting in a large hoop, with the quilt and hoop resting on a table and my Ott light right above it. It keeps the quilt off me (it is currently in the high 90"s) and seems to be ok-but I also only quilt for an hour or so and then get up for a bit. I also have the Grace 2 floor hoop-and it was perfect with my old chair in Vanuatu, but I don't have it here-so use my office chair. I only use that frame with a large quilt - like queen size - prefering my 14" lap hoop for smaller projects. Unfortunately, I really struggle quilting in different directions, mostly just top to bottom, so I have to turn the hoop (and quilt) frequently!

NDQuilts 08-26-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
The height is adjustable on it, and I have tried different chairs. The problem is that I can't see what I'm doing well enough if it's too far away. I don't think this stand is quite sturdy enough to rest my arm on.

I'm working on learning to quilt in all directions- I can do left to right (I'm left handed) and towards myself fine, I do ok with away from myself but it is a little difficult for me, and can't quilt from right to left at all. Can't even figure out how you do that! lol

To quilt right to left you would use your thumb. I could go any direction once I learned to quilt with both a finger and my thumb.