Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ergonomics of Quilting Standing up? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ergonomics-quilting-standing-up-t218766.html)

Teeler 04-10-2013 10:55 AM

Ergonomics of Quilting Standing up?

I'm biting the bullet again, and giving another Toastmaster speech at our next meeting. I decided to do it on the Ergonomics of quilting (Project #5: Your Body Speaks)

I've searched our forum here and have come up with many threads on the subject of tables, chairs, cutting table height, aches, pains, taking breaks, etc. but I didn't see much on the subject of quilting standing up.

While I thought initially it would be a good idea, I rethought that after realizing that shin pain would likely develop from having your body in an upright position and constantly lifting your foot into an unnatural position to get on the foot pedal.

Any thoughts on the subject?

auntpiggylpn 04-10-2013 11:08 AM

There is a member here that sews standing up. I can't remember which one though. Hopefully she will see your thread and respond. I remember reading one of her posts in a thread about table height

feline fanatic 04-10-2013 11:12 AM

Most LA quilters quilt standing up. But we don't have foot pedals.

cmilton 04-10-2013 11:15 AM

i do it when i am putting the binding on a large quilt by machine. i seem to have more control and can get it done faster.

auntpiggylpn 04-10-2013 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5991475)
There is a member here that sews standing up. I can't remember which one though. Hopefully she will see your thread and respond. I remember reading one of her posts in a thread about table height

The QB member I was trying to think of is Prism99. She will probably see this thread but you could drop her a pm.

jodimarie 04-10-2013 12:37 PM

I do 100% of my cutting, sewing and quilting standing up! When I look at photos of retreats where everyone is sitting, it gives me the willies! I have my machine, cutting mats and ironing boards set up to my right and left sides, a step or two to each side. I am able to move either way to do the task at hand and enjoy the fexability of moving.... My table is set up 42 inches in height by 36 inches wide and almost 8 foot long....with storage below!! For me, I would not have it any other way!!

hybearn8er 04-10-2013 01:00 PM

I stand and quilt.. I find it it is less taxing on my shoulders and neck. As for pain in my shins I don't have any. I am able to see my needle better and have straighter seams. I can sew longer because I don't feel as tired.

mike'sgirl 04-10-2013 01:00 PM

I knew of a lady where I used to live that sewed at her machine standing up. It worked for her. I have considered it since I have such bad back and shoulder problems.

petthefabric 04-10-2013 01:02 PM

There have been times I've pieced standing up. It's only been when the stitching is very short segments with other activities (pressing, triming, designing, finding stuff) in between. It was a comfortable position rather than sitting then standing repeatedly. I didn't stay in one position very long.

I've heard/read that when standing for long periods (washing dishes) without much movement, resting one foot then the other on a small block actually helps the back. I'd consider this statement as true as gossip, so do some research before quoting.

MaryMo 04-10-2013 01:07 PM

There is research concerning the ergonomics of standing at desks by office workers .... health benefits, productivity, etc. Thought this might be of help ....