Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The ever elusive SCANT 1/4" seam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-elusive-scant-1-4-seam-t187809.html)

GemState 05-02-2012 04:38 AM

Rather than depending on a 1/4" foot I eyeball the edge of the fabric on the throatplate (is that what it is called?) of my machine......or on the foot that I am using. Sew a sample and watch where the edge goes on the toe of the foot you are using and adjust accordingly. Is this clear as mud?

Rose Marie 05-02-2012 04:50 AM

My blocks always come out to small when I set my machine for 1/4 in. In fact all my machines do not work with a 1/4 in setting. So I set my machines for a smaller seam to get an accurate block.

psthreads 05-02-2012 04:58 AM

What good is a 1/4" foot, if you need a scant 1/4"? LOL

nabobw 05-02-2012 05:07 AM

There is eoungh room to move you needle over with your 1/4 foot.

bearisgray 05-02-2012 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by GemState (Post 5187442)
Rather than depending on a 1/4" foot I eyeball the edge of the fabric on the throatplate (is that what it is called?) of my machine......or on the foot that I am using. Sew a sample and watch where the edge goes on the toe of the foot you are using and adjust accordingly. Is this clear as mud?

This is basically what I do - rather than rant and rail and rave and rage about the foot and the seam allowance - this is SUCH a simple, basic, easy to do solution - although it DOES call for making a sample WITH THE FABRICS AND THREAD YOU PLAN TO USE FOR THE PROJECT- which takes what ? maybe 10 minutes max.

As Holice and others have said - even if one was using EXACTLY the same foot EXACTLY the same way - different fabric and thread weights will work up differently. One size/method does not fit all.

Sometimes one just has to adapt a bit to get the desired results.

romanojg 05-02-2012 05:11 AM

Make sure your blocks are large enough before sewing. 1/4 wouldn't make it enough to cause it to be off 1/2 inch. Believe it or not; not all rulers are created equal either. Check the size of your blocks and then also sew a test strip to see what your seams are. Maybe your foot isn't accurate and it if isn't allowing you to move your needle over far enough then you'll have to use a different foot that will.

gigi712 05-02-2012 05:54 AM

I did the 3 strip test and it measure 4 1/4". Does the 'scant' mean bigger or smaller? Move the needle to the left for increasing the seam and move it to the right for decreasing the seam? Is this right? Which way should I move the needle?

ShirlinAZ 05-02-2012 06:37 AM

Just ran into this myself making a D9P. Cut perfect 6" strips; pressed the seams. One of the fabrics shrunk as I touched it with the iron. The bolt said 100% cotton, but the fabric acted more like a blend. It's frustrating, but it's not always your fault.

SuzyQ 05-02-2012 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 (Post 5187725)
I did the 3 strip test and it measure 4 1/4". Does the 'scant' mean bigger or smaller? Move the needle to the left for increasing the seam and move it to the right for decreasing the seam? Is this right? Which way should I move the needle?

I believe that "scant" means smaller ... move it to the right so you are decreasing the space between the edge of the fabric and the thread.

Suzy

bearisgray 05-02-2012 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 (Post 5187725)

Assuming the seam edge of your fabric is to the right of the needle - move the needle to the RIGHT to make a narrower seam.

Try it - and make notes to yourself on the samples - so you can remember what you did.