Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ever since I made a flannel backing..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-since-i-made-flannel-backing-t282105.html)

LavenderBlue 09-11-2016 01:34 PM

Ever since I made a flannel backing.....

Ever since I made a flannel backing, regular fabric backings no longer feel cozy or warm to me. They would be fine just lying on a bed for looks, but for cuddling or a lap throw against your body, I now prefer only flannel. Anyone else feel this way? ;)

bearisgray 09-11-2016 01:40 PM

i used brushed arnel on the back of one of the quilts I made. Now that's the one that is always reached for.

Tumdarra 09-11-2016 01:53 PM

yes I used flannel for backing also, and have a hard time looking at going back to regular cotton...my last quilt I made was top and bottom flannel.......sooooo nice and cuddly

LavenderBlue 09-11-2016 02:00 PM

bearisgray - where is a good source for the brushed Arnel? Is there a large color selection? Available only in solids?

Tumdarra - oh, that is a nice idea. BTW, we love visiting Gilroy. :thumbup:

suern3 09-11-2016 02:22 PM

I agree LavenderBlue, I use flannel or minky for most of my quilts. Most of the quilts I make are for grandkids or donation quilts for kids and I want them to be cozy.

quiltingcandy 09-11-2016 03:07 PM

Have to agree with you - the flannel makes a quilt more cozy. And since most of my quilts are for people living in colder areas I use flannel. I make sure to buy quality flannel so it will hold up. But sometimes when I am making a theme quilt, i.e.: a sports team quilt, then I don't because I do not care to sew with fleece. (Not sure why it bothers me but it does so I don't use it.)

maryb119 09-11-2016 03:11 PM

I made a flannel quilt with a cotton batt for my DH for Christmas a few years ago for watching the race with his eyes shut. It is the most fought over quilt in the house. Flannel is so snuggly.

Maureen NJ 09-11-2016 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue (Post 7650522)
Ever since I made a flannel backing, regular fabric backings no longer feel cozy or warm to me. They would be fine just lying on a bed for looks, but for cuddling or a lap throw against your body, I now prefer only flannel. Anyone else feel this way? ;)

I like the softness of flannel and see so many beautiful flannel fabrics out lately. My problem is I made one baby quilt with "quality" flannel from a LQS several years ago. I washed it afterwards and it pilled. I was so disappointed. That experience turned me off to flannel. I vowed to never use it again but now I'm rethinking that. Have some questions for you and everyone.
1. What manufacturer do you recommend?
2. How do you pre-wash it to make fabric colorfast and to shrink it beforehand...but preventing pilling. I usually use Retayne in hot water.

bearisgray 09-11-2016 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue (Post 7650535)
bearisgray - where is a good source for the brushed Arnel? Is there a large color selection? Available only in solids?

Tumdarra - oh, that is a nice idea. BTW, we love visiting Gilroy. :thumbup:

I bought mine from Munsingwear Remnant Room when it was in Minneapolis, MN. It has been long gone - and what I have is what I bought from there way back when.

lots2do 09-11-2016 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 7650587)
I made a flannel quilt with a cotton batt for my DH for Christmas a few years ago for watching the race with his eyes shut. It is the most fought over quilt in the house. Flannel is so snuggly.

I love that! Watching the race with his eyes shut...My Dad always said he was resting his eyes.