Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ever used lap stand hoops for hand quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-used-lap-stand-hoops-hand-quilting-t16565.html)

roselady 02-15-2009 08:19 PM

In the last few months I've asked similar questions at this forum, but I'm still trying to decide on the type of hoop that will suit me the best. The lap stand hoops are expensive compared to a regular hoop you hold, so I want to find out as much as a I can before making the purchase. Unfortunately none of the local quilt shops sell them or I would try before buying. Any of you disappointed after buying a lap stand? What brands have you tried that you like, or dislike? Thanks for your help!

Prism99 02-15-2009 08:51 PM

My favorite hoop is a lap hoop that swivels on a wooden ball. Can't find mine online anymore; the one most similar to it is the Grace lap hoop.

Prior to the lap hoop I tried hand quilting using a regular hoop, hand quilting without a hoop, hand quilting on the PVC floor frame. With the regular hoop, I didn't like having to juggle the hoop while using both hands. Without a hoop, my stitches weren't as nice. The floor frame was too hard on my back.

I had also tried a lap hoop that did not have a swivel adjustment; the hoop was mounted on 3 supports. This was not nearly as nice as the one with the wooden ball swivel because the supports interfered with hand placement underneath.

I had also tried a relatively inexpensive floor standing hoop. Mine was both difficult in terms of trying to change an adjustment and in getting an adjustment to hold. More expensive floor standing hoops I'm sure have better systems for that. However, I also did not like the amount of floor space it needed and the awkwardness involved in either moving the hoop or moving myself around the floor part of the hoop.

In short, then, my highest recommendation is for a lap hoop that is mounted on a ball and that allows infinite adjustments in all directions. This kind of lap hoop really makes hand quilting a pleasure as long as the adjustments are easy to make and hold, because you can quickly change it to suit whatever angle and direction is easiest for you at the time. Also, it is quick and easy to set aside when you want to get up and move around.

redrummy 02-15-2009 09:26 PM

I hand quilt, and at first I did it by holding it. Then I got a floor standing frame. I loved it. I can do much better if not holding frame. I did get a lap one, but it isn't steady for me. so I am back to the floor one.

roselady 02-15-2009 10:43 PM

Prism99
Is the hoop that you like anything like the one sold at Keepsake Quilting? I have looked at it and the Grace one that you mentioned. The one at keepsake is much less expensive but if it is not as well made then I would be willing to spend more on the Grace hoop. Thankyou so much for your reply

roselady 02-15-2009 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by redrummy
I hand quilt, and at first I did it by holding it. Then I got a floor standing frame. I loved it. I can do much better if not holding frame. I did get a lap one, but it isn't steady for me. so I am back to the floor one.

Redrummy
Can you tell me the brand of both the lap hoop that you didn't like so much and the floor frame that you use.
Thanks, Roselady

k3n 02-16-2009 12:51 AM

I have a floor standing hoop with quite thin 'feet' which slot under the couch; This means that I can get it quite close to me. I have to sit a little bit forward but with a cushion behind me, it doesn't hurt my back at all (although I am susceptible to back and neck trouble from an old whiplash injury);

Can't comment on a lap hoop I'm afraid because I've never tried one, but I love my floor hoop!!

K x

sewaholic 02-16-2009 01:12 AM

I can't use a hoop at all. I always need extra hands.
I just find it too awkward. :roll:

Kara 02-16-2009 04:06 AM

I have a hoop with a floor stand. I love it. It holds the weight of the quilt for me. Before I put a quilt in it for the first time, I sat with it and made the necessary adjustments until I found what worked for me. Then I was off and quilting.

Kara

sandpat 02-16-2009 06:04 AM

I use a hoop, but not on a stand. I like more freedom to move myself and the quilt around. As you can see...this is more a personal prefernce thing :D

mpspeedy 02-16-2009 07:38 AM

Hi,

I have two floor hoops. One is round and made by Hintenburg I believe. It is a 30 inch circle on a central post that has three legs. It tilts in any direction. It cost between $100 and $150. I sit in a wingback arm chair with the post between my legs and tilt the hoop into my lap. It works well for me. My other hoop is made by Grace and is a rounded off square that is mounted on an arm that sticks out from a post also with three legs. It also has a swivel lamp mounted on the top of it that I can swing over my work area. The main problem I have with it is the area where the arm projects. The bulk of the quilt gets hung up in that area when a rotate the hoop. It was less that $200. I ordered it from the Grace company when they vended at a show I attended. They gave me free shipping and the lamp for free for purchasing at the show. I currently have a quilt on each hoop. One is in my family room in the basement which we only use when we start a fire in the woodstove. That happens at least three days a week this time of the year. The second is in our upstairs TV room. I currently have both quilts at least half way finished. There is a hoop available that looks like a large embroidery hoop that has three legs and a wooden board underneath. There is plenty of room between the hoop and the board to reach under the top with your underneath hand. You can also rotate the hoop around. The whole thing sits in your lap and supports the weight of the quilt. I have a friend who is also a handquilter for hire whose work has won awards that uses one all of the time. They can be purchased also. I have seen them at big shows. When I take small items, wallhangings, pillows etc to a bee or on a trip with me I use a plastic PCP pipe frame as it is collapseable and portable.
Experiment, borrow from a friend or get a shop to let you play with one on display. Find what suits you the best.