Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Examples of horizontal design? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/examples-horizontal-design-t253089.html)

LouiseHornor 09-05-2014 06:44 AM

Examples of horizontal design?

I am making a lap quilt with blocks that are rectangular, not square. The blocks themselves have a definite top and bottom, since they are a modified house design. For my purposes, I think the whole quilt will work better if it is horizontal. If it was a bed quilt, obviously that wouldn't work, but why not for a lap quilt?

Horizontal designs seem to be pretty rare, so now I'm curious to find more. Anyone have some examples to share?

I'm having a hard time finding them, probably because the words "vertical" and "horizontal" are used a lot in describing the quilting rather than the design. So when I search on-line, I don't get what I'm looking for. In the printing world, I would search on "portrait" and "landscape" but again, that leads me to quilts that show fields and trees, etc. Lots of beauty there, but not what I'm looking for!

Thanks,
Louise

kristakz 09-05-2014 07:26 AM

Many art quilts are that shape, I think. I have 2 or 3 of my own - it's actually the shape I lean towards for wallhangings.

I did a google image search for "wide art quilts" and found several (interspersed with ones which are taller than wide).

feline fanatic 09-05-2014 07:35 AM

I am not sure what you are asking in your post. I am thinking you are asking for a quilt pattern that is wider than it is longer? If that is the case, you simply change your block set or if the block is non directional, which 90% of quilt blocks are, you simply turn the quilt sideways. You don't need a special pattern, many patterns you can easily change the block setting so it is wider than it is long. As most quilts are traditionally used for beds, most patterns are either long and narrow or square. I can only think of a handful of blocks that are directional and/or rectangular so I think most quilt makers who want a quilt wider than it is long have simply adapted existing patterns, added extra borders to the sides or turned the quilt sideways.

I have seen many wider than longer wall hangings. Maybe try looking for wall hanging patterns too.

Gramie bj 09-05-2014 08:04 AM

I make some that are wider than log, they are made to fit across laps with plenty of tuck in space . Great for the kids in the back seat of the car. I just rearrange blocks to fit my space.

LouiseHornor 09-05-2014 08:13 AM

Feline fanatic, I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. I'm asking if anyone has photos of a horizontal design, just out of curiosity. They seem to be rare and I thought I would start a discussion about them :)

I do understand that I can make any design horizontal by either turning directional blocks, or laying the blocks out differently. I was hoping to maybe see examples of what other people have done.

Gramie bj, I agree that for the backseat of the car, horizontal works great. Also for a stadium lap quilt, so it doesn't drag on the dirty ground!

Kristakz, I'll try that search, too. If I look at too many art quilts, I start to feel inadequate :shock:. I'm just not that creative or talented!

-Louise

Tartan 09-05-2014 10:04 AM

Take a look at Lori Kennedy's site on her Tuesday Tutorials. Many of her designs can be stretched or combined for your home machine. http://www.theinboxjaunt.com/

ghostrider 09-05-2014 11:00 AM

Flag quilts are horizontal, and bargello is particularly nice looking in a horizontal layout...much like waves on the beach or hills in the distance. Also any of the chevron patterns would look great (I think better) horizontally.

DogHouseMom 09-05-2014 11:05 AM

Look at quilts that are table runners or bed runners ... both have the shape you are looking for.

Also do a google image search on bargello quilts, lots of them are stretched horizontally.

And of course landscape quilts.