Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Expensive sheets at the thrift store? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/expensive-sheets-thrift-store-t240539.html)

jemsister 02-06-2014 03:12 PM

Expensive sheets at the thrift store?

I live around the corner from a thrift store, and I went in there looking for sheets and pillowcases. I'm new to sewing, so I don't want to spend a bunch of money on new fabric without first having a feel for my machine and whatnot. Anyway, they were asking $8 to $10 per sheet set. This seemed really expensive to me for a thrift store! Especially since most of the sheets were pretty well worn, and definitely outdated. They had a few separate pillowcases for 79 cents each, and I bought a couple of those (most were kinda ugly patterns), but there were very few of them because if the pillowcase went with a set, you had to buy the whole set. It just seemed way overpriced to me. Is this because people are repurposing them? You know, like they're trying to capitalize on other peoples' habits? They did have a fabric remnants section, but there wasn't much to choose from. I did find a bit of brown calico for cheap, so that was nice. I came away moderately successful in the end, but I was just so surprised at the prices of the bed linens.

One thing I will say, though, is that they had a whole bunch of bias tape and piping for only 39 cents a pack. And they had one random spool of thread for 10 cents, so I grabbed that. I only bought a few packs of bias tape, some rick-rack, and a package of elastic. I was so tempted to buy the whole bin, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. So I made myself put back things that I didn't have a clear purpose for.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that everything seemed like a great buy except for the sheets. =P

Candace 02-06-2014 03:20 PM

Check out Ikea.

jemsister 02-06-2014 03:23 PM

I wish we had one close. That store is awesome!

carolaug 02-06-2014 03:24 PM

You were smart not to over buy on bias tape and other stuff..the elastic I would have grabbed. I was buying lots of stuff...ended up having no plan with them. I have donated over half of the stuff. my sewing room was overflowing with stuff I would never use. I also agree with used sheets...lots are way overpriced. I find better deals in the quilt shop. I also have learnt that I over bought fabric too...many with no plans still sitting in bins. If I had to do it over I would have bought per project with the exception of a few solids. I tend to get bored using the same fabrics over and over.

susiequilt 02-06-2014 03:40 PM

Not all thrift stores are non profit stores. Around here we have a couple of stores for profit. Also some times I find a thrift shop in a higher class neighborhood has higher prices than other areas.

jemsister 02-06-2014 03:41 PM

Our town has a quilt shop, but I never go in there because it is SO tiny, and I have a three year old ('nuff said). But now I am thinking I should go in there and look for some bargains!

jemsister 02-06-2014 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt (Post 6559314)
Not all thrift stores are non profit stores. Around here we have a couple of stores for profit. Also some times I find a thrift shop in a higher class neighborhood has higher prices than other areas.

This one benefits the senior citizen center (on sight). The profits benefit the center, and it's also a place of employment for seniors. The thing I found so remarkable was how everything in the store was a great deal except the sheets. They're a great shop for used books--I can get a paperback there for 25 to 50 cents.

Silver Needle 02-06-2014 03:48 PM

Most of the time you would get better results buying sale fabrics at a fabric store like JoAnns. Especially if you get coupons of the internet. Another option is buying 100% cotton shirts at the thrift store and cutting them up for piecing. Sheets do not make good backing fabric because of the density of the thread count. When we first got our longarm and were getting instruction on it the instructor suggested we not accept quilt tops from clients who insisted on using sheets for backing. It makes it very difficult to balance the tension on the top and bottom stitches. Just my humble opinion.

tessagin 02-06-2014 03:51 PM

The SA and GW have sheet sets and they aren't cheap either and some are thread bare. I usually go to estate sales for mine. Last one I went to for sheets, I got 5 sheets for $5.00 (king size). Usually, the last day is the best day at estate sales, because they want to move them. If you're looking for specifics then be there early the first day. Some thrift stores that are for profit are the resale/retail/pre-owned/gently used. Those aren't best. They sometimes act like an antique store.

Tartan 02-06-2014 04:27 PM

​I only shop at GW on 50% off days. I refuse to pay more for secondhand, than I can buy brand new (on sale) at Walmart.