Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Experience with universal spring needle for FMQ?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/experience-universal-spring-needle-fmq-t253363.html)

yobrosew 09-10-2014 08:05 AM

Experience with universal spring needle for FMQ??

Yeah or nay? Your personal techniques using? How many use on average per queen-size quilt using cotton top, back, and batting for sandwich?

Prism99 09-10-2014 08:08 AM

I tried one briefly many years ago, but abandoned it because I was afraid of sewing through a finger.

yobrosew 09-10-2014 08:14 AM

They look like this for those not familiar, http://www.schmetzneedles.com/catego...ing-Needles-13

yobrosew 09-10-2014 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6882451)
I tried one briefly many years ago, but abandoned it because I was afraid of sewing through a finger.

Ouch! I once had a needle go through the finger, then with the finger sore tried to do some seam ripping. To compensate for the bad finger I held the ripper in an awkward position and went into another finger with the cutter part of the ripper and had to get quite a few stitches. That was one of the hazards of learning to sew, before youtube, and not knowing anyone who sewed. My stepdad sewed and gave me his machine but I never saw him use it. The only thing he showed me was how to sew a button on by hand.

Prism99 09-10-2014 08:27 AM

What kind of machine do you have? Most of us use a darning foot for FMQ. There are two types, I think. Mine is a "jumping" foot -- has a spring in it so when needle goes up, foot also lifts a little to allow easy sliding of the quilt. The other type is a "floating" foot -- no spring, and just floats a little higher than a regular foot, again to allow easy sliding of the quilt.

If you Google "sewing machine foot for free motion quilting" and then click on "images", you will see what this type of foot looks like for different machines.

yobrosew 09-10-2014 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6882482)
What kind of machine do you have? Most of us use a darning foot for FMQ. There are two types, I think. Mine is a "jumping" foot -- has a spring in it so when needle goes up, foot also lifts a little to allow easy sliding of the quilt. The other type is a "floating" foot -- no spring, and just floats a little higher than a regular foot, again to allow easy sliding of the quilt.

If you Google "sewing machine foot for free motion quilting" and then click on "images", you will see what this type of foot looks like for different machines.

1911 White Family Rotary that I treadle

Weezy Rider 09-10-2014 02:14 PM

I've used one for free motion embroidery - this was before stabilizers and you used a hoop which kept the needle away from the fingers. It isn't as easy as it's made out to be - you would be better off with the hopping foot or Leah Day's version of the foot using rubber bands.

yobrosew 09-10-2014 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 6882866)
I've used one for free motion embroidery - this was before stabilizers and you used a hoop which kept the needle away from the fingers. It isn't as easy as it's made out to be - you would be better off with the hopping foot or Leah Day's version of the foot using rubber bands.

I don't think the hopping foot fits or works with my machine unless someone can enlighten me. Have not heard of rubber bands. Off to google this........

ManiacQuilter2 09-10-2014 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6882451)

That is the way I felt too.

Mitch's mom 09-10-2014 04:50 PM

I used one on a White Treadle. It worked pretty well. I wasn't worried about sewing over my finger because I couldn't go really super fast using a treadle. It seemed no different than a hopping foot to me.