Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Extra Wide Binding question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/extra-wide-binding-question-t233182.html)

DOTTYMO 10-24-2013 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks (Post 6366871)
I always use extra wide bindings. To me wide binding frames the quilt. I cut the strips wider and machine sew both sides:thumbup:.

Mary Is there any chance of you doing a tute ? Do you put quilt in the extra wide ? Before joining a group I always tried wider bindings but since then do thin things which personally don't like.
Can we see any pictures besides baby quilt of wide borders.

ckcowl 10-25-2013 03:09 AM

when you trim/square your quilt up after quilting; before binding leave an extra 1" (or how ever wide your binding will be on each side) that way, when you add your binding it will still be 'full'. sometimes wide bindings are a good choice.

mighty 10-25-2013 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6367075)
when you trim/square your quilt up after quilting; before binding leave an extra 1" (or how ever wide your binding will be on each side) that way, when you add your binding it will still be 'full'. sometimes wide bindings are a good choice.

This sounds like a great way to do it!!!!

Lori S 10-25-2013 08:08 AM

My mom used to make quilts that had a very wide binding. They were about 2-3 inches wide on the top side. They were all done with mitering ( much the way you would miter a border) at the ends through a single layer of fabric. It is a fabulous finish for some quilts. I wish I had a photo.. as describing it just doesn't create the accurate image.

judylg 10-25-2013 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6367075)

I see what you are saying and it makes sense depending on width of the binding. Am quilting one right now, might leave extra around when I trim, so I can do the wider binding. It will be good for the quilt I am working on as the border is wide enough and it is a rather plain fabric. Thanks for the help.

BettyGee 10-26-2013 03:54 AM

I use it all the time because it makes a nice clean finish, it is easy to work with, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it comes in a variety of colors and now that I've learned how to make continuous binding with neat 45 degree corners I'm a happy quilter.

KarenJ 10-26-2013 04:20 PM

I like fat bindings. They can act as another border and frame the quilt better than a narrow one. On large quilts the 1/4" bindings look, in my opinion, almost out of proportion.
You don't have to go any farther into the edges of the quilt. Cut your backing and batting wider to accomodate the wider binding and still go 1/4" in on the quilt side.

judylg 10-26-2013 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by KarenJ (Post 6370250)
I like fat bindings. They can act as another border and frame the quilt better than a narrow one. On large quilts the 1/4" bindings look, in my opinion, almost out of proportion.
You don't have to go any farther into the edges of the quilt. Cut your backing and batting wider to accomodate the wider binding and still go 1/4" in on the quilt side.

How wide do you cut them, I am thinking if I do the sewing on with a 1/4 inch seam, when it is folded over the binding will be flimsy if it is wider. Maybe I am wrong.

KarenJ 10-26-2013 05:20 PM

If you wanted, say, a 1 inch binding, you would leave 3/4 inch of batting and backing beyond the raw quilt edge. When you sew binding to your quilt edge you use a 1/4 inch seam and when you fold if over you will be going over your 1/4 inch seam plus 3/4 inch of batting and backing to equal 1 inch fully stuffed binding. For double fold binding your fabric strips would have to be 5 inches or so, I forget the exact equation.

sewplease 10-26-2013 05:20 PM

This sounds like fun but I'm confused about the corners. If you sew the binding on with a one inch seam allowance for example, when you get to the corner do you stop one inch from the end, rotate the quilt and flip the end up and fold back down as usual? I'm having trouble visualizing it. probably should experiment but it's easier to ask here first, lol.