Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Eye sight is dimming (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eye-sight-dimming-t236657.html)

Learner747 12-13-2013 03:32 PM

Eye sight is dimming

For the first time in my life I failed to thread the needle in my Bernina. I tried for over an hour and had to admit defeat. So I called my DH and he had no problem threading it. However, he isn't here all of the time; he works part time. How do you folks handle this problem? Do you have a favorite system or perhaps a tool of some sort? I really need your help. Thanks.

JudyMN 12-13-2013 03:42 PM

I wet the thread and the BACK of the needle. It seems the wet thread is drawn to the needle. Be sure the thread is sharply cut with no whispy ends.

DebraK 12-13-2013 03:55 PM

luckily my machine is self threading, other wise I would use a needle threader just like for hand sewing.

mltquilt 12-13-2013 03:57 PM

Have you had your eyes checked for cataracts?

mltquilt

BellaBoo 12-13-2013 04:07 PM

Use a floor magnifying lamp. It is an essential sewing tool for me. Eye sight can change slowly and then all of sudden you notice something is not right. Be sure and get your eyes checked at least once a year past the age of 50. You may only need readers that you can buy at the pharmacy.

charsuewilson 12-13-2013 04:08 PM

My machine is self threading, too, but I used to use a white card (3x5 index card or smaller) behind the needle and the thread shows up better. If that still doesn't work, increase the lighting and/or use reading glasses.

dunster 12-13-2013 04:20 PM

My Bernina is self threading, and it works great. But the longarm is not, and sometimes it takes a few tries. Even worse are the tiny needles I use for applique. Good light sure helps. I don't think I would have the patience to keep trying for an hour.

snipforfun 12-13-2013 04:23 PM

You may want to get checked for cataracts. I recently had this simple surgery and what a difference it has made! Wish I had done it sooner. Everything is now in hi def and bright. I had my distance vision corrected and my bifocals has a new Rx on the bottom. So worth it!

moonwork42029 12-13-2013 04:27 PM

I have to agree with all of the above:

Super good lighting

Try using tweezers -- sometimes your fingers can block the lighting

Be sure the thread is trimmed with sharp scissors without any fuzzy strings to make it harder

Use a needle threader...ususally around $1 for 3 of them in a package at Walmart

Using a piece of an index card behind it would give good contrast

Use "cheater" glasses for extra magnification if needed

Eye sight can slowly get worse so please do have your eyes checked.

Give your hubby a big kiss from all of us too for being your threading hero

M.Elizabeth 12-13-2013 04:30 PM

nicely should be nice

Originally Posted by moonwork42029 (Post 6455171)
I have to agree with all of the above:

Super good lighting

Try using tweezers -- sometimes your fingers can block the lighting

Be sure the thread is trimmed with sharp scissors without any fuzzy strings to make it harder

Use a needle threader...ususally around $1 for 3 of them in a package at Walmart

Using a piece of an index card behind it would give good contrast

Use "cheater" glasses for extra magnification if needed

Eye sight can slowly get worse so please do have your eyes checked.

Give your hubby a big kiss from all of us too for being your threading hero

Nicely summary of the previous statements.