Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Eyelet Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eyelet-fabric-t262425.html)

DonnaFreak 03-10-2015 09:44 AM

Eyelet Fabric

Howdy y'all 😊

There is a lady in our quilting group who has to go twice a week for dialysis. She has always been really cold-natured, and has mentioned to us that she nearly freezes to death while hooked up for her treatments. So I was thinking about making her a throw to use especially for when she has to go in. She LOVES pink, and I have some beautiful pink, white, and off white eyelet fabrics that I've had for a couple of years now. I have 4 yards of each color in 60" wide fabrics. Don't hate...I got it on clearance for $2.00 a yard!!

Has anyone ever made a quilt top using eyelet fabric? Would the batting come out through the little eyelet holes, or would it work fine? My idea is to make a pink and white Pinwheel quilt, use a double layer of high loft batting, and tie it so it will be poofy and snuggly for her. I'm also toying with the idea of having no binding, but to sew the layers so it can be sewed all the way around, leaving an opening to turn it right side out. The kicker is that I would like to also sew some eyelet fabric lace on the edges so that when I turn it right side out, the lace will be rufflie around the outside. Then I would do the tying after it's turned. Does this sound doable, or am I biting off more than I can chew? I'd sure appreciate any help! 😃

Donna

ManiacQuilter2 03-10-2015 09:47 AM

I would never think of using eyelets because of all the holes. How about using some minkey?? That is so soft and warm.

Cheshirecatquilter 03-10-2015 09:48 AM

It sounds wonderful and cozy, but yes, the batting would poke out the little holes. How about a matching or contrasting color of something very light like organza under the eyelet?

mom-6 03-10-2015 09:51 AM

I think you might want to use a sheer fabric (batiste or organza maybe?) between your batting and your quilt top just to be sure there's no "leakage" of fluff from the batting. The rest of your plan sounds lovely.

ckcowl 03-10-2015 10:35 AM

I made a quilt with beautiful white eyelet fabricate for the top. I layered the eyelet over a fabulous pink fabric, so the top was two layers of fabric, then the batting/ backing. You need some sort of layer between the eyelet & batting.

notmorecraft 03-10-2015 11:31 AM

I know the purists will through their hands up in horror, but what about a layer of pink or white sheeting behind the eyelet fabric? If you birth it, it will be easy to add a ruffle before you stitch it all together.

tessagin 03-10-2015 11:42 AM

I agree with ckcowl. You need something attached to the eyelet. That pink would be pretty with a white backing.

ShelleyCS 03-10-2015 11:45 AM

I've used eyelet, but I lined it with a lovely blue fabric. It has to be lined. Really, the batting will pop through.

KenmoreGal2 03-10-2015 12:00 PM

This is a helpful thread. I have a nice piece of pink eyelet too and I didn't know what to do with it. Now I have some ideas. Thanks!

Chester the bunny 03-10-2015 12:08 PM

I think eyelet is beautiful and so delicate looking. I think it would be lovely (backed with something, perhaps a contrasting color behind each, like pink behind the white, white behind the pink), but I would suggest something warm on the back, like flannel or fleece to keep her warm.