Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   EZ3 hand quilting frames (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ez3-hand-quilting-frames-t126443.html)

chamby 05-29-2011 04:24 AM

Does anyone here have this frame? My DH husband just bought one for me. Are they hard to assemble and use? I sure hope not. I am so looking forward to using this once I get it put together. :)

christina d 05-29-2011 04:33 AM

read the instructions they arnt too hard to put together

chamby 05-29-2011 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by christina d
read the instructions they arnt too hard to put together

Thanks, did you put any kind of finish on your frame? If so what did you use?

Kat Sews 05-29-2011 06:28 AM

I love my ez3. I used a clear coat on my frame to keep the natural wood look and make it smooth as glass. Not hard to put together if you don't get in a hurry and read the instructions.

MamaBear61 05-29-2011 01:08 PM

I have one too and I did paint mine black to go with other furniture in the room where it sits.

chamby 05-29-2011 02:45 PM

My husband and I just finished putting my frames together. I did not put a finish on mine. I was in too big of a hurry to get it together. I will be putting a lap quilt in them tomorrow. Did you use a strip of fabric or just put the fabric in the rods? Which works better?

MamaBear61 05-29-2011 03:22 PM

My first one I put the fabric right on the rails, but I was using a flannel backing for a baby quilt and it was a little hard to get it fastened. I made a set of leaders out of a cotton twill fabric before loading the next one and I found that worked better, but I would make the leaders about 2 or 3 inches longer than suggested in the plans and I think they would work better. Have fun with your frame.

chamby 05-29-2011 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
My first one I put the fabric right on the rails, but I was using a flannel backing for a baby quilt and it was a little hard to get it fastened. I made a set of leaders out of a cotton twill fabric before loading the next one and I found that worked better, but I would make the leaders about 2 or 3 inches longer than suggested in the plans and I think they would work better. Have fun with your frame.

Mine actually has metal roll rods not wooden ones. I just read and found out that it has a plastic tubing that slips into a slot with a special tool to hold the fabric in.

MamaBear61 05-29-2011 03:40 PM

Yes, that is how mine is too, but I just found that trying to push the flannel into the slot was more work than pinning it to the leaders. Probably if you are working with a cotton backing you will have better luck.

chamby 05-30-2011 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
Yes, that is how mine is too, but I just found that trying to push the flannel into the slot was more work than pinning it to the leaders. Probably if you are working with a cotton backing you will have better luck.

I want to try these out so bad, but I am finding that I need one thing and then another. Is there a you tube that will show me how to make my own leaders? I have looked and cannot find one. I learn better by sight on something that I have not done in the past. Is there somewhere you can purchase these without ordering?