Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fab-u-Motion devise (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fab-u-motion-devise-t179509.html)

gertz 02-15-2012 01:12 PM

Fab-u-Motion devise

I have the opportunity to buy a Insira-Fab-U-Motion w/o stitch regulator for $150. Am wondering if anyone has it and do they like it.
Thanks Much

AliKat 02-15-2012 01:47 PM

Is this the same as the one for Pfaff's and Viking's? I used mine a lot til my hands got worse. A friend also has one and loves it. Ours came with a stitch regulator, so not sure what we have is the same thing.

I should probably sell mine now. Oh well.

ali

toadmomma 02-16-2012 05:12 AM

I have the one for my viking, but check out the open space that will be for the quilting area, mine isnt that large so I have to keep moving the quilt all the time, they have since come out with one that has a larger area. but i rather do mine without it.

Holice 02-16-2012 05:39 AM

check what they mean by stitch reguator. I am not familiar with the newer ones but that price appears way under for a tru stitch regulator. I ask someone demonstrating such a device one time and was told the quilter regulated the stitch with the movement of hands according to the speed the motor was running.
The Bernina stitch regulator which interfaces with the mechanism of the machine cost big bucks. So be sure what you are getting. Also, I agree with the above posts, the space is limited and have to reposition frequently. Is it reall just a big hoop to keep the quilt flat. If you can.....then try it out first. Dont buy blindly.

janRN 02-16-2012 05:40 AM

I also have one for my Viking. Used it twice. As Toadmomma said, the quilting area is too small. $150 is a good price especially with the stitch regulator. I've had it 3 years now and it's shoved under the bed. Too much work to set it up and doesn't save on arm soreness because you have to constantly move the quilt, I think, more than when not using it.

kuseta 02-16-2012 02:11 PM

I have one for my Viking and I love it. The stitch area is 7" x 9" and you have to move the quilt around alot, but I find it easier to use it instead of my mid-arm on a frame when I'm wanting to quilt one whole block at a time. I'm glad I got it first. that sounds like a great price for a used unit.

sew inspired 02-16-2012 02:19 PM

I have the one for Viking w/Stitch Reg with the larger opening. It works llike the Bernina in that the stitch size is the same no matter how fast or slow you move the quilt/platform. However it can be over done with extremely fast movement and the stitch is then larger. The weight of the quilt is on the platform and easier to more than regular FMQ. I used it a lot but now that I have more experience at FMQ I use it only if I want REALLY even stitch length. I personally cannot see any use for a Fab-U-Motion W/O the stitch regulator. That price seems incredibly low if it DOES have a SR.