Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Buying Dilemma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-buying-dilemma-t173571.html)

Mad Mimm 12-29-2011 08:30 AM

I have collected quite a bit of fabric and discovered when trying to do projects out of stash only, that I grossly lack blendables. So... I have solved my dilemma by hauling several of my fabrics to the fabric store, and buying blenders using coupons sales, etc. I find by doing that, I can stretch my stash further and don't have to buy too much. It works for me. Good luck!

KR 12-29-2011 08:33 AM

I, too, am trying to be more judicious in what I purchase as there is already PLENTY of fabric on my shelf! But....sometimes I rationalize and tell myself that if I keep buying things I like sooner or later some of it will go together and I'll be able to make things totally from my stash. That's after the UFOs are finished of course! :cool:

charity-crafter 12-29-2011 08:42 AM

I'm trying to use what I have and only buy fabrics that will go with a lot of things-like neutrals or something that has a lot of different colors so I can make what I have in my stash work.

I've stopped buying fabric just because it's a good price, now if it's a good price it has to have a couple different colors/designs and be enough to make something. I was really bad about just picking up a yard because the price was too good to pass up but now I've had it in my stash for years and nothing goes with it.

QuiltingKrazy 12-29-2011 08:52 AM

I just received, a few moments ago, my package from Connecting Threads! I ordered two of their thread sets that are 40% off. I got the black/white/grey set and the neutrals/browns/tans. 15 spools of thread for $22.41! I like their thread. I didn't purchase any of their fabric at this time, just because it was on sale. I am trying to only buy fabric when I have a certain project. My coworker has had items in her Connecting Threads basket for about a week now and has changed it severval times because the fabric keeps selling out before she purchases it, so somebody is buying sale fabrics! I try to do my spur of the moment spending at quilt show/sales. We have a "one stop shop" event the end of January, so I'll save until then.

Joan 12-29-2011 09:05 AM

I buy online and the sales this time of the year are hard to believe. When I can buy quality fabric for $4 a yard, I go for it. It usually works out that the "focus fabric" has been purchased online and then buy some of the needed blenders, etc. locally. I live miles away from anywhere and I NEED my stash......

blueangel 12-29-2011 09:07 AM

I buy most of my fabric online. The LQS are just getting too expensive.

greensleeves 12-29-2011 09:32 AM

I buy backings for projects when I find a good clearance price.

wishfulthinking 12-29-2011 10:14 AM

I've enjoyed reading all your replies, and thanks for making them. QuiltnLady suggested concentrating on blenders & tone on tones. I agree that is wise. If only I could be wise & not succumb to the call of the bright & colorful! But I'll try. Thanks also to Mad Mimm. I hadn't considered hauling a bunch of my fabrics into the lqs for matching with blenders, etc. Good thought, as long as those fabrics aren't full price! I think I need to spend some time assessing what I have and trying to come up with a plan. More fun to shop!

gramarraine 12-29-2011 10:53 AM

I am trying to finish UFO's and use from stash next year. I hope I win instead of the voices in my head that say better buy it you won't get another chance.

RedGarnet222 12-29-2011 10:53 AM

I have learned to buy for specific quilts. There are fabrics that "talk" to me and I buy. But, for the most part, it for me is best to do it that way.

Yes I sure did take advantage of the year end clearance to fill in the fabric I needed to make three quilts and to buy batting at connecting threads. I love Hobbs and that is the only place I can find it anymore reasonably.